Smash
Credit: Level-5, IGDB

Smash Ultimate Dream DLC Picks

In the recent Nintendo Direct, it was announced that Fatal Fury’s Terry Bogard would be the latest DLC fighter coming to Super Smash Bros Ultimate. But that was not the most exciting news for Smash fans.  Nintendo announced that there are even more DLC fighters in development, leading to tons of speculation as to who they could bring to the game. Ignoring Three Houses’ Byleth, as a  Fire Emblem swordfighter character they are always inevitable, here are my picks for the Ultimate DLC fighters that I would like to see and which I also think are realistic possibilities.

Crash Bandicoot

It may seem a long shot but, when we have Sonic in Smash and a load of Crash reimaginings on the Switch, why not bring the Bandicoot to the brawl? With his trademark spin and slide attacks, and his aptitude with a wumpa fruit bazooka, Crash brings a ready-made moveset that would fit right into the Ultimate roster. I do not know what his Final Smash would be – perhaps Uka Uka could exercise some of his magic, or Crash could team up with his sister Coco and use one of her inventions to finish off his rivals – but surely Sakurai and his team can think of something awesome.

If that does not already tempt you, you would finally be able to answer the big question that fuelled many a playground discussion when I was a kid: Mario, Sonic and Crash – who is best?

Professor Layton

The dapper puzzle-solving gentleman may seem an odd fit for a fighting game, but Layton has demonstrated his proficiency with a sword and with a homemade machine gun, so do not underestimate him. Coupled with a seeming army of small animals by his side, the Professor could make for an interesting novelty fighter. His Final Smash seems obvious – imagine the visual of him running from a ferris wheel in Curious Village, but replace him with his opponents, and let the wheel find its target.

Really, if I had Layton, I would taunt a lot – you know one of the taunts would be him sipping tea, or explaining how a gentleman behaves, and that against a backdrop of Nintendo mayhem would never get old.

Captain Toad

It is striking that the new Mario additions to Ultimate thus far are Daisy (a Peach clone) and the Piranha Plant (an interesting fighter, but hardly in demand) when  Nintendo is currently avoiding one of their most charming new characters. Captain Toad appeared in a myriad of locations in Super Mario Odyssey and set about his own quests in Treasure Tracker.

The Captain is unable to jump, but there are some crafty ways around this – throwing his backpack into the air and letting the momentum carry him, for example. He’s additionally equipped with a lot of tools that could make for effective weaponry, including his trusty pickaxe. Toads have never really had their time in the spotlight, so how better to remedy that?

Waluigi

Here is the one that fans have been dying for. When it was announced that ‘everyone is here’ in the Ultimate trailer, the response of fans was simply ‘not quite everyone – where is Waluigi?’. Luigi’s rival has appeared as an assist trophy in previous Smash games, but so did Little Mac,  there is no reason that Waluigi should not finally join the battle. Waluigi is primarily a side-game and spin-off character, and so it is likely that his moveset would be linked to his sporting endeavours (as an assist trophy, he ran around the stage clutching a tennis racket). He has been a golfer, a driver, a footballer and much else alongside  his tennis career – a sporty Waluigi fighter would make the fans very happy indeed.

Some Assist Trophy picks

There are a few other characters I wanted to mention, but I do not think they have the clout or the reputation to be full fighters, so why not head down the assist trophy route? It would  be nice to see a return of the adorable Chibi-Robo, and I would also find space for Cooking Mama (damaging an opponent because they messed up a recipe, perhaps). It is an incredibly long shot, but I love the indie puzzler Dewy’s Adventure – Dewy changing the weather of the stage could lead to some interesting ice/rain dynamics. And then, in the ultimate celebration of gaming, how about some Tetrimos filling the screen, with a brilliant reward if you finish off a row? Fighting and puzzling would be a challenge in itself.