westwood
Image: Philip Halling / geograph.org.uk

New Westwood café and more self-service checkouts at Rootes introduced

A new café at Westwood campus known as Aroma has opened, amid a number of other eating and shopping developments at the University of Warwick.

Aroma by the Nero Roasting Company began business on Monday 16 September. Open from Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm, the café serves a range of coffee, sandwiches, cakes and other hot dishes.

The café’s opening follows the establishment of a Caffè Nero at the Sports and Wellness Hub which opened on 5 August.

Both Aroma and Caffè Nero operate their own loyalty schemes, meaning that the Eating at Warwick and University Charge cards cannot be used for purchases at the outlets.

Other upcoming eating and shopping developments on campus include increasing the number of checkouts in Rootes Grocery Store to 15.

12 of the checkouts will be self-service, doubling the number of self-service tills in the store. The newly installed tills accept debit and credit cards, Contactless, Android and Apple Pay.

The developments are part of the University’s plans to create a vibrant campus by providing a wide variety of food and drink outlets and have been informed by feedback from staff, students and the wider community

– University of Warwick

Moreover, a pop-up Blackwell’s bookshop will be open in Warwick Arts Centre from 23 September to 25 October.

Blackwell’s, which is the UK’s largest academic bookseller, replaces the Bookshop which closed on 24 July following the summer graduation ceremonies.

Construction work for Pret a Manger, replacing Costa Coffee on central campus which closed on 24 July, has also begun.

No date has yet been announced for when Pret will open, although the University told The Boar in August that it is set to open before the start of term.

Following the news of Pret a Manger replacing Costa Coffee, the University told The Boar: “The developments are part of the University’s plans to create a vibrant campus by providing a wide variety of food and drink outlets and have been informed by feedback from staff, students and the wider community.”