record number
Image: PublicDomainPictures / Pixabay

Record number of students find university places through Clearing

record number of 17,420 students secured a university place through the Clearing this academic year, according to UCAS. 

This is 2,260 candidates more than the 2018-19 academic year. Clearing entrants accounted for just under 5% of the 364,380 total UK student university admissions.

According to UCAS, there is a growing number of 18-year-olds who favour applying to universities after receiving their grades.

Universities have also been offering cash results to persuade students to enrol in their courses, with scholarships of up to £4,500 available to students going through Clearing.

This Results Day, 68.8% of courses at the University of Warwick had spaces advertised through Clearing. It was among the 18 Russell Group universities that had one or more places available through Clearing on Results Day.

A number of courses at Warwick were offered in Clearing with lowered grade requirements such as History which was being offered for grades of BBB in Clearing, down from AAA.

2,260 more candidates secured a place through Clearing than in the 2018-19 academic year

Russell Group universities were also found to be admitting students with A-Level grades as of CDD and offering an extra year of tuition to get students up to speed.

Overall, despite a record number of applicants in this year’s admissions cycle, fewer students were placed on courses after Results Day.

Last week, Universities Minister, Jo Johnson told universities not to use results day as “an occasion for universities to simply get more students through the door”.

This news comes after the Labour Party proposed a plan to scrap predicted grades.The Labour Party proposed a new admissions service where students would apply to university post-results.

Jo Grady,  the University and College Union (UCU) General Secretary stated that Labour’s plan would “help level the playing field for students, remove the problems associated with unconditional offers and end the chaotic scramble”.

Universities UK (UUK) launched a “Fair admissions review” in July which is due to report next Spring. It is unknown whether the review will advocate a post-qualifications admissions system or propose changes to the Clearing system.