Remaster
Credit: Capcom, IGDB

Remaster These Nintendo Exclusives Now!

The Switch is receiving a number of remakes and remasters of classic Nintendo. A graphical overhaul, improvements and a bit of new content make these games as essential as they were on their first release. So what other Nintendo games deserve a remaster? Here are a few less obvious choices that I think should make an appearance on the Switch.

Pokémon Snap

People have been crying out for a new Pokémon Snap game for years, so what better time to remaster it? The fundamental basics of the game need not change but there’s so much more that can be done with it. Snap had you attempting to take pictures of 63 of the original 151 differentPokémon, using items in order to achieve better shots. Imagine a Snap game with the chance to photograph a selection of if not all 809, in environments from the numerous Pokémon games released since 2000, with a graphical overhaul reminiscent of the Let’s Go Switch games. Frankly, the only real surprise is that it has not appeared already.

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros’ Treasure

My next pick is a puzzle game from the Nintendo Wii which really did not get the love it deserved. Zack & Wiki followed the adventures of aspiring pirate Zack and his monkey friend Wiki as they attempt to assemble the cursed body of the pirate captain Barbaros in exchange for his treasure. The game’s premise is simple – overcome obstacles by solving puzzles in order to reach a treasure chest – but it makes for some enjoyably difficult gameplay, and I think it would find a natural home on the Switch. Gamers are searching for challenging adventure games (look at the success of the Crash remaster), so Zack & Wiki should have another chance to reach the audience it deserves.

Dewy’s Adventure

A bit of a minor shout here, but I wanted to pick another puzzle game that I think would really benefit from refining its controls and a bit of extra content. In Dewy’s Adventure, another 2007 Wii game, you play as a young droplet of water. You use the Wii remote’s motion controls to slide Dewy around the screen, and the D-pad to change the environment (and, consequently, Dewy’s state, with steam and ice affording him different abilities). The Switch benefits from both a control stick and a D-pad, rendering the motion control issue that blighted the Wii game null and void – with this major improvement, and a few more puzzles on offer, Dewy could once again have a day in the spotlight.

Captain Rainbow

From the minor to the incredibly obscure – here is a game that never even made it to Europe as, despite extremely positive reviews inside Japan, the game was a financial disappointment. Captain Rainbow follows Nick, whose alter ego is the eponymous superhero. His TV show is no longer popular so, in a bid to increase his star power, he travels to an island where wishes are said to come true. There, he meets a variety of minor Nintendo characters with dreams of their own, and Nick can help them via a number of minigames. Actually bringing this to Europe would be great, and the total lack of familiarity gives a great chance to add in much more content. A remaster retaining the crude humour and the top writing, and giving it a slight polish, would be fantastic.

Conker’s Bad Fur Day

On the subject of crude humour, here is a pipe dream. Conker’s Bad Fur Day was released on the N64, toward the end of its life, but has since developed a cult following due to its unique styling and adult humour. The player controls Conker the Squirrel, who embarks on a quest to return home to his girlfriend after a night of binge drinking, and there follows a platform adventure in which you complete a series of challenges. The Conker series is now an Xbox property and the Switch is cementing itself as a family-friendly console, both of which make this remake extremely unlikely, but imagine how excited Nintendo gamers would be if Conker received another day in the sun.