chinese students
Image: John / Flickr

Chinese students clash with pro-Hong Kong protestors in Australia

Students protesting against Hong Kong’s controversial Extradition Bill clashed with Chinese students at the University of Queensland on Wednesday 24 July.

During market day celebrations, pro-democracy students staged a sit-in to support protests in Hong Kong against the bill and criticised China’s treatment of Uighurs, a minority ethnic group native to Xinjiang.

Protestors chanted “free Hong Kong”, directing lines such as “go home” and “this is a democracy” to Chinese students.

Nilsson Jones, an editor of the Brisbane-based university’s student magazine Semper Floreat, said that in addition to pro-democracy slogans, there were also signs saying “One million Muslims detained”.

“Tensions escalated when Chinese students arrived – there were students holding speakers and blasting the Chinese national anthem,” he told The Guardian.

“Things escalated and turned violent when pro-Chinese students started ripping up signs that the protesters were holding.”

Tony Chang, a student activist, said that protestors were punched in the face “without provocation”, in addition to having their loudspeaker and slogans stolen.

Mr Jones estimates that there were 50 international students from Hong Kong accompanied by 100 or more domestic students at the protest, who were opposed by at least 200 others.

Richard Murray, a Journalism lecturer at the university, witnessed the fights and said that up to 1,000 students gathered at the Great Court, mostly consisting of Chinese students.

He told South China Morning Post that up to 40 police officers called by campus security arrived to dissolve the situation and no arrests were made.

Prior to the protest, a petition against it was launched which garnered over 1,100 signatories by Wednesday evening.

Keira Gao, who initiated the petition, said: “I came to this country for education, peace, and the careful community environment. However, today’s protest unveiled the other facet of this school, which I felt strong discomfort (about).”

Dawen Si, a signatory, stated that “Hong Kong is a part of China!”. Flora Zhang expressed that “China has absolute respect for Xinjiang and Hong Kong in terms of politics and human rights”.

Tensions escalated when Chinese students arrived – there were students holding speakers and blasting the Chinese national anthem

– Nilsson Jones

In a statement, the University of Queensland said: “Earlier today, in response to safety concerns resulting from a student-initiated protest on campus, the university requested police support.

“On the advice of police, protesters were requested to move on. The safety of all students is paramount to the university.”

They added: “One of the roles of universities is to enable open, respectful and lawful free speech, including debate about ideas we may not all support or agree with.

“The university expects staff and students to express their views in a lawful and respectful manner.”

Ian Hall, an International Relations professor at the Griffith Asia Institute, commented that Australian universities are “woefully unprepared” to handle similar protests, which are “likely” to rise.

He said that universities “partly to blame too, because they have allowed Chinese student associations on campuses to be funded and controlled by the People’s Republic of China embassy and consulates”.

“This has allowed PRC diplomats to monitor students, to intimidate them, if necessary, and to orchestrate shows of strength or support for the PRC,” he concluded.

China’s consulate general in Brisbane attributed the protest to “a small group of people” with “ulterior motives” to conduct “anti-China separatist activities”, “igniting anger and sparking protests from Chinese students, including those from the mainland and Hong Kong”.

China’s consulate general in Brisbane attributed the protest to “a small group of people” with “ulterior motives” to conduct “anti-China separatist activities”

“The Consulate General attaches great importance to the safety of Chinese students and affirms their acts of patriotism,” read the statement released on the following day.

“It resolutely opposes any talk of separatism and objects to the use of such events to incite anti-China sentiments between mainland and Hong Kong students.

“The Consulate General will continue to pay close attention to this matter and resolutely safeguard the legitimate rights and interests of Chinese students.

“It hopes that Chinese students will abide by Australian laws and regulations, pay attention to personal safety, and express their demands according to law.”

The protest comes after the students’ union (SU) voted to support pro-democracy protestors in Hong Kong.

The condemned the “Hong Kong and Chinese governments for their subversion of democratic rights and freedoms in both Hong Kong and the People’s Republic of China.”