Image: Elizabeth Plant and Ben Chapmen / Smirk Theatre

“Everything you’d expect of a student show”: a preview of ‘Takin’ it Easy, 1916′

When given the opportunity to review Takin’ it Easy, 1916 before it goes up to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival this summer, I was quite excited. I’d never seen a Fringe performance before, but one of the things that really made me want to come to Warwick was its reputation for the high quality of student work they bring to Fringe. I’m pleased to say that Takin’ it Easy, 1916 does not disappoint, and it’s everything you’d expect of a student show at the festival.

The play is branded as a comedy, and that comedy is expertly performed. With little scenery, the show is very character-driven, but the actors all rise to the occasion with over-exaggerated actions that command the audience’s attention. I have to say that, for me, Wendy (played by Alex Keaney) was a particular highlight, although my friend was in stitches throughout the whole performance – which is testament to just how funny the cast are.

The show also satirises the sorts of stereotypical characters you would find there and their inward-facing attitudes

A lot of that comedy comes from how recognisable the themes of the play are. In a light-hearted way, being in the situation of an escalating lie is something I’m sure we can all relate to. The resulting switching names and mildly-offensive Scottish accents (especially to an Edinburgh audience) make for a show that you can’t help but laugh at, and the talented cast’s acting and delivery amps everything up to be funnier than it would otherwise be.

Set in a small town, the show also satirises the sorts of stereotypical characters you would find there and their inward-facing attitudes. The events of the play lead up to their village fate, which seems to be the highlight of the year, and will see the announcement of awards such as best sheep shearer. So, if you’re from or have ever experienced that small village feel, I guarantee you’ll be laughing.

The laughs suddenly disappear as Jacob seems to speak directly to the audience when chastising the villagers

But there is a darker undertone to the play. From their ignorance towards the First World War, to their branding of a character from outside of their small village as a foreigner, I found that it’s vaguely reminiscent of your racist grandmother’s remarks – but in a way that makes you laugh at their close-mindedness. Until, that is, the rather stark change in tone at the end of the play. Without wanting to give too much away, the laughs suddenly disappear as Jacob (played by Niall McDaid) seems to speak directly to the audience when chastising the villagers for their lack of engagement in the outside world.

This part of the show was particularly cleverly done. By having the characters stand behind and to the side of the audience, the show suddenly becomes immersive, and you do feel that you are being directly addressed, and with that comes almost a level of guilt. I was relieved that the show contained this element as, as well-performed as the comedy is, I think it’s necessary (and even expected of a student show) to do a bit more in order to attract attention.

The comedy is brilliantly performed, which is hard to do

The one element of the show that slightly confused me was whether this political message was supposed to relate to one issue in particular, or whether it is a general call for people to care more about what is going on around them. I think that either one of these would work, but the show could benefit from a bit more clarity in this respect.

Overall, I found Takin’ it Easy, 1916 to be a great watch. The comedy is brilliantly performed, which is hard to do, and the change in tone is so sudden that it really strikes the audience and leaves them pondering. I wish Smirk Theatre the best of luck at Fringe this summer, and I’m sure the show will only add to Warwick’s strong reputation for its student theatre.

Takin’ it Easy, 1916 is at Warwick until June 20, and at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival from August 12-17 and 19-24.