Image: BBC Pictures
Image: BBC Pictures

Ghosts is a fun new BBC comedy

As Not Going Out stumbles into its tenth series, anyone would be forgiven for thinking that BBC Comedy might just have run out of new ideas. It’s been far too long since anything new and exciting in the way of sitcoms has come out of the BBC. However, when the new comedy Ghosts debuted on BBC One, I was filled with hope that this might be the fresh idea I’ve been waiting for.

Ghosts comes from the minds of the same people who entertained us with Horrible Histories on CBBC, which immediately presented the intriguing premise of seeing how this team were going to retain their humour and charm for an adult audience. It was certainly a wily move on their part, allowing them to recapture the very audience they once amused on CBBC, many of whom will now be adults.

Ghosts is really all about its characters

The silliness of Horrible Histories is plain to see in Ghosts, but the move from sketch show to sitcom allows for this to be accompanied by longer storytelling and character development – in fact, Ghosts is really all about its characters. The show boasts quite the ensemble, from prehistoric caveman to nineteen-eighties scout leader, and they’re all good fun in their own way. But what really helps to ground the whole thing is the stellar performances of the two leads (Charlotte Ritchie and Kiell Smith-Bynoe), who add a degree of sanity amongst the ghosts around them.

But make no mistake, Ghosts is not a show to be taken too seriously. The mismatch of characters and unusual set-up has plenty of comedic potential for both throwaway gags and absurd plots. It works above all because it isn’t afraid to be silly, coming from a team of actors who have already proved once that they don’t mind making fools of themselves, and are now happily doing so again.

I’m confident that it will be renewed for a second series

I can definitely see Ghosts as a show that could be around for a while to come. Not only is there enough characters and possibilities for endless situations (why oh why do British comedies always restrict themselves to six episodes at a time?), the concept behind the show also has the potential to be explored beyond the manor house setting, as a couple of episodes gave us a glimpse into the world of ghosts beyond that.

The series has undoubtedly been fun, and my only real criticism was that it was over too soon. But I’m confident that it will be renewed for a second series. If you missed the show or haven’t got around to watching it yet, then I would recommend it to you highly. It’s light-hearted entertainment that feels refreshingly harmless and easy to watch.