alabama
Image: Adam Jones / Wikimedia Commons

Alabama university returns $21.5m donation over “continued interference”

The University of Alabama (UoA) has returned a gift of $21.5 million to one of its donors, after a series of clashes between the two parties linked to the running of the institution and Alabama’s anti-abortion laws.

All of the money was return to Hugh F. Culverhouse Jr., a real estate executive and philanthropist, via wire transfer on Friday 7 June.

It was initially suggested that the university’s rejection of Mr Culverhouse’s donation was primarily linked to his stance against Alabama’s anti-abortion laws.

The university later clarified that it was “about ending the continued outside interference by the donor” instead.

“None of the issues between the law school and Mr Culverhouse had anything to do with the passage of legislation in which the university had no role,” the university said. “Donors may not dictate university administration.”

Officials have accused Mr Culverhouse of trying to interfere in its operations, from the hiring and firing of law professors to student admission strategies.

According to a press release last September, Mr Culverhouse had stipulated that his gift of $26 million, the largest donation in the university’s history, be mostly used to provide scholarships.

I call on students to protest and reconsider their educational options in Alabama

– Hugh F. Culverhouse Jr.

Released emails show that Mr Culverhouse had “complained about the law school’s administration” of his gift, and had asked for the return of $10 million of the $21.5 million he had already donated.

On May 28, the chancellor recommended that the university’s governing board return the entire donation. The university’s president Stuart Bell said that the decision “was made for reasons of academic and institutional integrity”.

After the gift was returned, Mr Culverhouse’s name has been removed from the law school, which was named after him nine months ago.

Mr Culverhouse previously expressed his aim to boycott all states with restrictive abortion laws, one of which is Alabama, where the statute was passed last month.

Addressing the university’s law school and encouraging students to boycott the law, Mr Culverhouse explained: “As a lawyer, I cannot countenance a law school, especially one which bears my name, teaching state law that I believe to be wrong both constitutionally and morally.”

After the return of his gift, he stated: “I will not be silenced. Once again, I call on students to protest and reconsider their educational options in Alabama.”

Shortly after, Kelle Reinhart, a spokeswoman for the university, said that “any attempt by Mr Culverhouse to tie this action to any other issues is misleading and untrue.”