Image: ©Marvel Studios 2018 / Sky Editorial Asset Centre

‘Avengers: Endgame’ can’t fix Marvel’s women problem

The wait is finally over; Avengers: Endgame is now in cinemas, and we finally have a conclusion to the Infinity Stone narrative that has dominated the MCU for nearly ten years. While I found Endgame to be an emotionally charged, very long, yet entertaining and ultimately satisfying end to this phase of the MCU, part of it – indeed a particular scene – still doesn’t sit well with me.

Much like at the end of Infinity War, Endgame sees its third act depict an epic battle for possession of the Infinity Stones. Within Infinity War, we witnessed a relatively surprising moment in which the women of the MCU assembled to protect one of their own against Thanos’ henchmen. The union of Scarlet Witch, Black Widow and Okoye made for a great moment of female power, fighting together in a way we have never seen a team of female Avengers do before. In an incredibly male-dominated cinema-verse, though, it is a moment that is sadly far too singular.

While on the one hand I am again thrilled about the coming-together of powerful women, in retrospect I cannot escape the feeling that this scene is a cheap attempt at pandering

It is relatively unsurprising, then, to see Endgame repeat such a moment. The women of the MCU gathered to defend their newest recruit, Captain Marvel, as she attempted to return the newly-made Infinity Gauntlet to Hank Pym’s “quantum time machine”, and out of the hands of Thanos. Taking the gauntlet from a now-undusted Peter Parker, who expresses his fear for her facing so many of Thanos’ army alone, Okoye delivers the powerful line: “Don’t worry. She’s got help.” A pan reveals the women of the MCU preparing to fight, from Valkyrie on a Pegasus to the newly suited-and-booted Pepper Potts donning an ‘Iron Woman’ suit.

This time I’m very much in two minds about such a scene. While on the one hand I am again thrilled about the coming-together of powerful women, and in the heat of the moment could not help but revel in this sequence of female empowerment, in retrospect I cannot escape the feeling that this scene is a cheap attempt at pandering. Marvel have a huge fan-following, a large portion of which is female; Endgame is the 22nd Marvel film to be released since the first Iron Man film back in 2008. Only one has featured a female protagonist, and it was released just two months ago. The release of Captain Marvel – while a brilliant film in its own right – came far too late, and was indeed completely overshadowed by the impending release of Endgame.  

This scene itself now serves as a reminder of women’s place in the MCU; reduced to romantic interests, side-characters, and chaperones of various male lead-characters

This scene itself now serves as a reminder of women’s place in the MCU; reduced to romantic interests, side-characters, and chaperones of various male lead-characters. Ultimately, it represents Marvel taking all of their undeveloped potential and attempting to play it off as a display of celebration for what they actually have achieved. And whilst what they have achieved is the creation of an undoubtedly huge spectrum of powerful women, only one has managed to take the spotlight of a feature film. In hindsight, even the introduction of Pepper Potts as ‘Iron Woman’ seems remarkably patronising – her incredibly clever husband made her a suit as an anniversary present. Now she can join in the fight too! Women are included! This is the height of inclusivity!

Like many people my age, I have grown up watching Marvel films. I have a huge level of emotional investment in the characters, one that is shared by so many, as evident by the huge internet community Endgame had mustered in the run up to its release, and official campaign to prevent the leak of spoilers. Yet, the lack of female representation remains somewhat astounding, and is, in this day and age, really inexcusable. Marvel have produced a number of incredibly relatable and likeable female characters, but only with Captain Marvel have we started to see the MCU appreciate that women too can be strong and powerful leaders in their own right. It is progress. But progress that has been far too slow, and has seen this final conclusion to such a huge cinematic timeline leave a slightly sour after-taste. In a recent article for The Boar, Mischa Alexander echoes this sentiment with regard to LGBT representation in the MCU.

Overall, Endgame bitterly let down some of its female characters, and by extension its audience. Even with the addition of Captain Marvel to the Avengers roster, her role is incredibly limited. While her enormous power did evoke fears that she would be relied upon too heavily, Marvel appeared to go in the opposite direction. She was too powerful to only help Earth, and spent the majority of the film elsewhere, helping other planets.

Overall, Endgame bitterly let down some of its female characters, and by extension its audience

We see Peggy Carter’s timeline re-written so she can finally be with Steve Rogers; while satisfying to some extent, the choices she made following his freezing are completely undone to cater to the whims of a man who has not moved on. Scarlet Witch is reduced to a grieving widow. Nebula and Gamora’s narrative is reverted back to two women fighting against their powerful and abusive father – furthermore, the latter bluntly vanishes without reason, presumably reduced to a narrative point within the next Guardians film. While Valkyrie is promoted to becoming the new leader of the Asgardians, it is only through Thor’s abdicating of the role that he is able to grant her such an opportunity. Some of the women shown in the aforementioned ‘empowering scene’, such as Shuri, do not even have a line of dialogue within the entire narrative.

The death of Black Widow received little to no mourning; the self-sacrifice of an original Avenger to save the only family she has ever known was quickly forgotten. Meanwhile, Tony Stark’s death was met with an emotionally-charged funeral procession. There is an irony to be found in the moment where he ponders what sort of world his daughter, Morgan, will grow up in. If she grows up within the MCU, we can only hope it is a world that continues to make progress – at a much faster rate than it is currently – where women are granted equal grounds and opportunity to their male-counterparts.