Image: Mark McArdle/Wikimedia Commons
Image: Mark McArdle/Wikimedia Commons

The Bahrain Grand Prix, Vettel and his many mistakes

In all the talk about Lewis Hamilton’s surprise victory and Charles Leclerc’s dominance at the Bahrain Grand Prix, it was easy to overlook questions about Sebastian Vettel making a big mistake during the race. This had echoes of previous seasons, in which Vettel’s mistakes became a major talking point. And, as a four-time F1 World Champion, it does beg the question of why Vettel is so prone to errors?

Vettel and his fellow Ferrari driver, Leclerc, had dominated throughout the weekend in Bahrain, posting the fastest times in qualifying and leading for a lot of the race. Leclerc suffered an engine issue that led to him coming in third (after starting on pole) but he received kudos for his performance. However, Vettel had a markedly worse race as after taking the lead at the start, he was passed by his teammate and then Hamilton. He stamped the gas in fury, making his car spin, which then caused tyre issues and the loss of his front wing. He eventually limped over the finish line in fifth, in a race that commentators agree he could have easily won. Discussing Bahrain, the 2016 F1 World Champion Nico Rosberg said: “Vettel is continuing what he was doing last year, messing it up when he’s in a battle. You don’t become world champion like that.”

After the German Grand Prix, Hamilton started pulling ahead

The 2018 World Championship was really a season of two halves for Vettel. It began with an incredibly tight race for champion between Vettel and Hamilton. The two vied for the top spot, with it changing hands numerous times, and it seemed as though either could be a contender to take another championship. But, after the German Grand Prix, Hamilton started pulling ahead.

There were two reasons. Hamilton’s driving remained as formidable as ever, but Vettel started making mistakes, and an awful lot of them. In Baku, he was too aggressive after a restart and went wide, turning a second place into fourth. In France, he locked up into turn one and hit Valtteri Bottas, finishing fifth. Germany, and his home track, and Vettel couldn’t even manage a finish; a self-inflicted crash in the wet was the subject of much discussion. “His mistake is devastating and could be why Ferrari loses the world championship,” wrote La Gazzetta Dello Sport. Similarly, La Stampa wrote that “the talent of the world champion is not questioned, but his exaggerated zest is hurting Ferrari’s season.”

In Singapore, Vettel’s defensive manoeuvre on the first lap took out his car

Errors also cropped up back in 2017. In Baku again, Vettel got angry when he believed he had been brake-tested and, in fury, barged into Hamilton’s car. He was given a 10-second stop-go penalty, which would have been costly in points were it not for Hamilton having to pit again with a loose headrest. Then, in Singapore, Vettel’s defensive manoeuvre on the first lap took out his car (as well as those of Max Verstappen and his then-team-mate Kimi Raikkonen), gifting an easy win to Hamilton.

Hamilton was charitable to Vettel, saying after Bahrain: “It happens to all of us. Just because you’re a multiple world champion doesn’t mean you’re not going to have off weekends. It’s more cumulative. Look at Vettel’s career. He’s had stunning performances that far outweigh the weaker races and when he’s spun, for example. They’re minuscule on the status he’s accumulated and created.”

This rivalry is new territory for Vettel

Perhaps a major issue for Vettel is that his mistakes are being played out against his rivalry with Hamilton, and the Mercedes driver has shown time and again that he has excellent judgement under pressure. This rivalry is new territory for Vettel because, in his four world championship victories in 2010-2013, he had an incredibly narrow lead over Fernando Alonso, but there was not the talk of a great battle in the way the Hamilton-Vettel rivalry is framed. Add in the pressure of the dependable Bottas and the future prospects of Leclerc being the main Ferrari driver and Vettel will only be pressed further.

Of course, it’s possible that Vettel will be able to brush off this criticism and drive a perfect season, taking his fifth championship, but the circumstances seem to be against him. Vettel seems more prone to anger and misjudgements when pressed, and this often costs him. Now his own teammate looks to be another contender for the championship, he’s likely to be pressed even further.