Harvard university record number Asian American students
Image: Poodar Chu/ Unsplash

Harvard University accepts record number of Asian-American students

Harvard University’s list of students for the class of 2023 shows that the number of Asian-American students is the highest it has been since 1980.

The University is welcoming 1,950 students to its class of 2023 after it announced its list of admitted undergraduate students on March 28.

The list shows that 25.4% of the students admitted are Asian-Americans, with 14.8% identifying as African-American, 12.4% from Latin-American descent, 1.8% are Native American, and 0.6% of the students are native Hawaiian.

The number of Asian-American students has increased from the figure of 22.7% last year according to the University, whereas the number of African-American students has decreased from 15.5%, based on admission invitations.

The class includes people from every state in the country as well as students from 89 countries around the world.

These changes come after a lawsuit which was filed against the University last year, which claimed that it systematically favoured African-American students in contrast to Asian-Americans.

The ongoing court case was coordinated by Edward Blum, a conservative activist with a history of cases regarding affirmative action against universities in America.

A spokeswoman from the University denied any link between the lawsuit by the Students for Fair Admissions and the increase in the number of Asian-Americans to the University.

She further stated that the decline in the number of African-American students from the previous year took place alongside a decline in the number of African-American applicants this year.

I want all of you to know that each Harvard College student is admitted affirmatively. Each student brings something special to our community and contributes to our rich learning environment in a way that is unique

– Larry Bacow

William R. Fitzsimmons, the University’s Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid stated:“The Class of 2023 is remarkably accomplished and promising by any standard.

“Reading their applications and getting to know these individuals through their unique experiences and talents inspires great confidence for the future of Harvard College and our society.”

“I want all of you to know that each Harvard College student is admitted affirmatively. Each student brings something special to our community and contributes to our rich learning environment in a way that is unique”, further added Larry Bacow, the new president of the University.

Data also shows that the number of female and male students admitted is 50%, and the number of international students admitted is 12.3%.