Image: The University of Warwick Volleyball Club

Warwick Women’s volleyball squad faces Coventry

Saturday evening, February 23rd the match was set for the top of the league, Coventry University versus the bottom of the league, our own Warwick Women’s volleyball squad. The match prediction would have seemed simple but Warwick came ready to fight.

Playing as a squad and bringing both their first and second team along for the ride, team Captain De Santis had high hopes for a tight game against Coventry having had previous success in a friendly match only two weeks prior.

From the start, Coventry proved that their strength was not just for show

Based on just the warm-up alone, these were two teams that were both ready to win. Coventry came with an intimidating high focus edge and some incredibly powerful spiking talent – it was clear number 7 was one to watch from the get-go. Warwick, despite this clear intimidation tactic, were all smiles and full of energy.

From the start, Coventry proved that their strength was not just for show with many powerful shots, with several landing deep in the far corners of the pitch, even from the back line. However, Warwick played into this offensive play which lead to many out of bounds points in their pocket. After a tight first set and (an unfortunate ball to the face taken like a champ by Warwick number 8), Coventry were one up, but now it was Warwick’s turn to attack.

Warwick equalised and gained their first set up on the Coventry team

Though Warwick were clearly not as strong-armed as Coventry – the fluidity of their team, bearing in mind they had ten players circulating on and off the pitch throughout, was heavily commendable and with some cracking shots from their Captain and player 5 – Warwick equalised and gained their first set up on the Coventry team this year.

Unfortunately, in the end, Warwick’s high energy could not match the Coventry team’s intense focus and with a landslide win in the third set (25-13) they were pumped and ready to clutch the win with the game finishing 25-20. Warwick’s Coach’s closing comments on the match were optimistic and she praised the squad’s teamwork in the face of an intimidating opponent.