Thepchaiya Un-Nooh makes record break on route to Snooker Shoot Out victory

Thepchaiya Un-Nooh has won the 2019 Snooker Shot Out, beating Michael Holt 74-0 in the final.

It was the Thai player’s first ranking title, and he made tournament history on route to the victory, making a 139 break in the semi-final – the highest in the history of the Shoot Out.

Un-Nooh’s rapid style of play is perhaps uniquely suited to this event, playing single-frame matches against the clock – he’s the fastest player on the tour, and he proved on fine form. In his last three matches, against Stuart Bingham, Jamie Clarke and then Holt in the final, he only conceded three points.

It was the battle against Clarke where Un-Nooh made his historic break, eclipsing the previous record of 135 set by Martin Gould.

And, in the final, Un-Nooh showed no signs of letting up his form – once he had a chance, he compiled an excellent 74 to secure the win.

After his win, Un-Nooh said: “I am so proud of myself. I have worked hard and have been looking to win this tournament. I told myself I could win this event many years ago. I haven’t been close before, but this format is perfect for me. I can easily play with ten or 15 seconds. That is normal for me.

“It has been a long time since James Wattana was the last player from Thailand to win a ranking title. I hope that this helps to make snooker more popular in Thailand. It would be good if this helps the Thai association to encourage more young players in the future.

“The 139 break was fantastic and very important in terms of my career. It was my best ever break. To do it in only six minutes was brilliant. I won’t be able to sleep tonight.”

The Shoot Out was surrounded by its usual controversy, with supporters celebrating the one-off change to the traditional snooker format, and detractors criticising the event’s status as a ranking tournament.