Image: Drew Graham/Unsplash

Warwick’s dance societies – part 2

Gaana Dance

I came to university thinking I wouldn’t be that involved in Gaana dance as I’ve loved Bollywood all my life. But Gaana Dance Society (Gsoc) has completely changed my opinion. I have never enjoyed dancing with a group of people more than I have at Gsoc. From classes to rehearsals I’ve always felt welcomed and happy to be there. Although dance has always been a huge part of my life, Gsoc is open to people with all kinds of dance experience, so many of my friends have never danced before joining this society and now regularly attend classes and socials. Gsoc also has a great variety of socials, from initiations to visiting the Birmingham Christmas Market to trampolining, there’s something for everyone.

Radha Patel, President

Salsa

If you join one society this year, join Salsa and dance your troubles away! We have dance classes every Monday and Friday during term, we set up social dancing in between, plus we host the university’s burning hot Latin Night (Tuesday 16th October – Week 3) when we have workshops with Salsa stars like the amazing Moe Flex. As the society’s current secretary, you might think I’m biased, but I joined Warwick Salsa as a total beginner in first year, I fell in love with the music and the people, and now I’ve performed in a team, been to two international salsa congresses with the crew, plus I now get to help run the society! We dance all week long, we dress up for circling, plus you do not want to miss out on our salsa tour next year.

Get a flavour of what we’re all about at one of our tasters in Welcome Week or Week 1… you won’t regret it! Check out our Facebook page for all our events – https://www.facebook.com/warwicksalsa ¡Arriba arriba!

Jordanne Wood, Secretary

Street Dance

I came to Warwick already as an experienced dancer, but thanks to regular training with the Street Dance Society (formerly ‘Breakdance’), my b-boying has improved massively, and I’ve perfected moves I couldn’t properly do for years. Alongside the great dance regime the society provided for me, I have also enjoyed events such as the PEBBL ball, performances, jams and other socials.

Jonathan Dunn, Vice-President and Dance Coordinator

Tap

Having danced all my life, I knew I wanted to continue dancing at university and so was keen to visit the Warwick Tap stand at the Freshers Fair. I was immediately convinced that joining would not only be a great way to become involved in a vital aspect of university life, but also to make friends with people who shared a similar interest to me. From the moment I stepped into my first tap class at Warwick, I felt instantly welcomed. I could not have predicted that two years later I would be the Vice-President of the society! Balancing my exec responsibilities (as well as participating in competitions and shows) with my degree, has enhanced my time-management skills and I believe has actually allowed me to organise my work load better. Simultaneously, Warwick Tap has provided me with a much-needed break from academic work.

Imogen Allport, Vice-President