Image: Sirus Kashefi / Flickr
Image: Sirus Kashefi / Flickr

New York University School of Medicine will provide free tuition to students

The New York University (NYU) School of Medicine has launched a new scholarship programme which will provide free tuition for its students. According to NYU, it is the first medical school ranked in the top 10 for the nation to do so.

The scholarship covers the full tuition fee, which is $55,018 this year. All medical students at the university will be eligible for the scholarship programme, regardless of financial need or academic performance.

Students have the option to choose between the traditional four-year MD program or an accelerated three-year degree. The scholarship will not cover the cost of room and board, as well as other living expenses.

The scheme was announced during the ‘white coat ceremony’ for medical students. There are currently 442 students enrolled in the NYU School of Medicine, with 102 new students entering this fall.

Robert Grossman, dean and chief executive officer of NYU Langone Health, said: “Our goal was to raise enough money to enable students to graduate with as little debt as possible.”

He stated that they raised $450 million of the $600 million needed to accumulate a grant which will allow NYU to provide full tuition scholarships perpetually. The programme came to be after 11 years of work.

Rafael Rivera, associate dean for admissions and financial aid, said that this initiative was implemented to tackle the issue of affordability of medical school, as well as shortages in the industry.

He explained that debt can also influence the field in which the students decide to specialise, dissuading them from lower-paying positions in paediatrics and primary care.

He added: “One of those individuals could be the one to find a cure for cancer. For us, it’s important to have the best applicant pool possible and society deserves nothing less.”

The “overwhelming debt” borne by graduates is often a deterrent when pursuing a career in medicine. A survey by the Association of American Medical Colleges revealed that almost 75% of medical students graduated with an average debt of $191,000 in 2017.