Image: Wikipedia

MyVoucherCodes names Coventry 6th best “alternative” UK city for a night out

Voucher, coupon and discount deals website MyVoucherCodes has named Coventry as the 6th best “alternative” city for a night out.

MyVoucherCodes conducted research initially into 75 cities across the country, later narrowing results to 50. The company has explained that they focused on “alternative” cities where you can find “cheap cocktails, reasonable taxi fares and a good deal on hotels”, moving away from places such as Manchester and London, which can be deemed expensive, unsafe and overly crowded.

MyVoucherCodes researchers collected data and ranked the towns and cities on safety index score, pint cost, gin and tonic cost, taxi cost, hotel cost, the cost of a meal, and the number of bars and clubs per 100,000 residents.

The categories were decided based on the importance of safety and spending on a night out, as well as on the avoidance of overly busy and crowded venues.

Swansea was ranked highest overall, with Northampton, Derby, and Middlesbrough following at joint second. Nottingham came just before Coventry at fifth.

In terms of safety, Coventry came third overall; the city was also praised for the average cost of a pint, £3, and of a gin and tonic, £2.75

In terms of safety, Coventry came third overall; the city was also praised for the average cost of a pint, £3, and of a gin and tonic, £2.75. The average initial taxi fare is £2.95, whilst the average cost of a one night weekend hotel stay is £69, far lower than Swansea’s £90.

Of the top six cities, Coventry’s average meal cost is the lowest at £9; it also has the lowest number of bars and clubs per 100,000 citizens out of the top 6 cities. Comparatively, despite Birmingham’s party reputation, research found it has 23.85 bars and clubs per 100,000 citizens lower than Coventry’s figure of 36.82.

Whilst Coventry has the fewest bars and clubs in the top six, Coventry’s the Tiki Hut has recently applied for a license change which would extend its closing hours on Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 12am to 1am. The application has seen four resident rejections and the verdict will be published this Wednesday.

Warwick first-year student Maria Luque said she was confused by the results of the research, stating ‘it’s not the worst but I feel like even a place like Leamington would be better.’

Alternatively, first-year Rosie Whitehead explains that she does like Coventry because ‘it’s quite cheap and quite good.’