Gospel
Image: Jojo Adeyemo/ Instagram:@adeyemoangles

Chioma Abazie on Warwick’s largest gospel event, ‘Awaken’

Chioma Abazie, second-year Economics student at the University of Warwick, reflects on the lead up to the evening of Friday 2 March 2018 when Warwick’s largest Gospel event, ‘Awaken’, took place.

So how did ‘Awaken’ come about?

During my first year of university, I noticed there was a lack of Gospel events in the Warwick community. I wished to cater for this and envisioned an event which would bring together people of faith in a night of praise, worship and empowerment.  

That same year, I co-founded the Warwick Gospel Choir and set up my own multi-services business, CCA Services which covers a range of services from providing functions to private tuition.

Fast forward almost a year later when I had this ideaCCA Services, in collaboration with the Flow Society, brought ‘Awaken’ to fruition on Friday 2nd March 2018 at the Rootes Flexi Grid. The performers shared their talents and experiences relating to the event’s theme of ‘Breaking Chains’. The line-up included the following: MOBO Award-Winning artists Rachel Kerr and Faith Child, Emmanuel Smith, Tosin, T.M.A, Manny and Tolu, Naomi Elliott, AJ the Articulate, Tomiwa Omoyinmi and Warwick Gospel Choir. Also, there was a panel discussion at the beginning with Ayo Afolabi, Victoria Azubuike and Nia-Cerise Conte while Earl Blackman delivered the sermon later during the night.

Image: Mawuelome Augustina Adjei/ Instagram: @byaugustina “MOBO Award-Winning artist Rachel Kerr performing”

How did you go from having the idea to actually putting the event on?

Reflecting on the preparatory stages towards ‘Awaken’, the most important aspect was having passion and desire. Through combining my faith and love for Christian music, with my belief that we must always strive to help others, I was incredibly motivated to ensure my plans of hosting ‘Awaken’ this academic year became a reality. 

Alongside my Economics degree and other commitments, time management was key. Therefore, ‘Awaken’ would not have been possible without gathering a dedicated team nor receiving such excellent support and contribution from those involved and around me, particularly the support I received from Kofi Abaidoo.

What did you do to prepare for ‘Awaken’?

First, I asked myself: ‘How was I even going to start?’ 

Preparing for ‘Awaken’ consisted mainly of the following elements: prayer, fasting and sound advice from my family and mentors. Then I was fortunate enough to gather a team to help with the event.

Nearer to the time, I also planned a Prayer and Chill session for those that were involved with ‘Awaken’. The main purpose of this was for all of us to come and pray together as one. From praying for the performers to making sure ‘Awaken’ ran as smoothly as possible, it was a time for us not just to express our concerns but also to give our gratitude onto the Lord. 

Having reflected on my journey of organising such a large-scale event for the first time, I have come to realise that the experience enhanced my personal development. From assisting in designing promotional posters to helping compose a medley for Warwick Gospel Choir to sing, preparing for ‘Awaken’ has definitely helped me step out of my comfort zone.  

Image: Chioma Abazie

These preparations certainly required dedication. What were some of the challenges you faced?

Despite unexpected snowfall and severe weather warnings in place around the country on the day, ‘Awaken’ continued as scheduled with over 200 people in attendance.

This large turnout was met with every member of the team going above and beyond their roles, to which I could not have been more grateful for.

Perhaps the biggest challenge I faced and had to understand was the complexity of having an idea and turning it into reality. Not only was I focusing on being resilient and persevering, I learnt just how important it is to have an open mind.

The theme was ‘Breaking Chains’. Why did you chose this?

Insecurities, university stress and relationships are just some of the pressing issues which many young people face nowadays; therefore, these were issues I wanted to address in a Christian context. 

I have personally encountered some of these challenges myself and am aware that everybody’s lived experience differs. The message behind ‘Awaken’ was that despite the difficulties one may be facing, we ought to know that we are not alone – in the midst of it all, God is with us. The message is based on the premise that challenges are more likely to bring forth growth, resilience and self-development. As Pastor Michael Todd rightly said, ‘comfort and growth are like oil and water’ – they are immiscible, they do not go together. Growth and change are the same – they require us to test the boundaries of what is known and embrace discomfort. 

When someone says ‘Gospel’, what does that mean to you?

The word ‘Gospel’ is the old English translation of the Greek phrase ‘good news.’ And for me personally, it is reassuring to hear as it shares the message of how we don’t need to condemn ourselves for our mistakes. The Word of God is so powerful, as I have found with scriptures such as John 3:16 and Ephesians 2:8-9. More than anything, it helps just knowing that someone is there with you and understands the situation you are in.

Image: Jojo Adeyemo/ Instagram: @adeyemoangles

What are your plans going forward? Will ‘Awaken’ return next year?

Not only do I want ‘Awaken’ to return next year, I hope it will be bigger and better. This will require more organisation, planning, creating a bigger team as well as maybe finding some new, different artists. But I believe it’s about having that drive to just do it. It’s so important to act on your vision and I would advise others to just go and act on their ideas. Even if you may be initially starting alone, the right people and resources will come.