A quick guide to term 3 events at Warwick

It’s easy to fall into the idea that Term 3 is nothing but spending your time in the library, working away until exams finally roll around – however, there’s still tons of events going about campus, and it’s quite easy to miss them as you surround yourself with books. Here’s a list of some of the many events this term – make sure you check a few out!

Royal wedding (19 May, from 9am)

You may have heard that Prince Harry is getting married to Meghan Markle – the event will be screened live in L3 from 9am by Warwick Student Cinema, and you can expect it to draw a huge crowd. The royals, love them or hate them, are a hugely popular institution, and this wedding is likely to draw huge audiences across the globe – if you’re a keen watcher, gather together and share the moment that, to quote the attending Spice Girls, two become one.

The Improv Musical (25 May, 19:45)

Music Theatre Warwick put on some brilliant shows, but the jewel in their crown is definitely the Improv Musical. Six talented performers stand in fun of the audience and ask for suggestions about characters, a setting and a title – from this, they’ll improvise an hour-long musical. It’s a hard sell because you necessarily don’t know how it’ll go – each show is different, but they are always a hilarious and entertaining watch!

Public Image Ltd. (4 June, 19:00)

It’s the 40thanniversary of Public Image Ltd (PiL), with rocker-turned-butter salesman John Lydon at the helm. The group is off on a UK/European tour, and they’ll be dropping into our very our Copper Rooms on the way. If you’re a fan of post-punk music, or just keen to hear one of the most innovative and influential bands of all time, make sure you check out PiL when they hit campus.

FIFA World Cup 2018 (14 June-15 July, various times)

If you’re a football fan, you’ll already be aware that the sport’s greatest tournament will soon be back. You’ll find a lot of the games will be screened on the Piazza (especially as the competition reaches its later stages), and the amount of people help generate an excitement that watching online simply does not. Back in 2014, the Piazza steadily got fuller, and the audience ever more excited, as we headed towards Germany’s victory – I look forward to a similar thing happening again this summer.

Socs Summer Party (15 June, 17:00)

The Graduation Ball (18 June, 17:00)

The Sports Ball (19 June, 17:00)

Postgraduate Summer Ball (25 June, 18:30)

The end of summer term at Warwick is ball season – if you’re a fan of black-tie events or you just love an excuse to dress up, get ready for a glamourous night out! There are four main balls, so gather a group of friends, buy your tickets and dust off your glam rags! You’re normally guaranteed a nice meal, some top entertainment and a chance to socialise – if that’s your kind of thing, make sure to buy your ticket!

The last CRASH ever (23 June, 22:00)

I can’t claim to be a rock fan but, if you are, this must be one for your calendar. The Midlands’ most ridiculous rock night returns for the final time, bringing a mix of rock, metal, alternative, punk and ska – this time, they’ll be going out with a bang with the all-time Crash top 40 (as chosen on Facebook). Expect this to be a memorable night, as a Warwick institution comes to an end.

The Lion King Big Screening (25 June, 22:00)

As a former President of the Student Cinema, I’d be in a lot of trouble if I didn’t wrap up on the annual Big Screening. Towards the end of the year, the society takes over the Piazza Big Screen and holds an open-air screening of a certified classic – this year, it’s the turn of The Lion King. Come and watch what is arguably Disney’s best film with all your friends to round off your year at Warwick.