Image: Unsplash/ Davide Cantelli

Students from underrepresented backgrounds are less likely to succeed

Despite universities making progress on admitting more young people from underrepresented backgrounds, recent data shows that they are still less likely than their privileged counterparts to succeed at university.

New data from the Office for Students (OfS) indicates that students from poorer backgrounds, black students, Asian students and disabled students are less likely to prosper at university.

Students from the most disadvantaged backgrounds are, by 10 percentage points, less likely to achieve a first or an upper second-class degree compared to their wealthier peers.

For students with disabilities, the difference is three percentage points, and for black and Asian students, the difference is 22 and 11 points respectively.

The data suggests that, although universities are attracting students from disadvantaged backgrounds with the same grades as those from more privileged backgrounds, there exists a gap in attainment when taking their degrees.

In a recent opinion article for The Guardian, Chris Millward, director for access and participation for the OfS, suggested that this gap has been attributed to factors such as living at home due to caring or other responsibilities, or because students from underrepresented backgrounds interact with learning, support and extra-curricular activities differently.

Millward also suggested that the percentage point difference between majority and minority groups can be attributed to feelings of isolation in a university environment, which can affect learning.

Whilst the University of Warwick is currently ranked 19th most unequal in the country in terms of rich to poor student ratio, improvements have been made recently to outreach programmes

In attempt to approve these disparities, the OfS, under the Higher Education and Research Act 2017, has legislated to require most universities to submit clear, evidence-based plans to improve not only access for underrepresented groups, but also their degree outcomes.

Research has also found that these gaps between students’ degree results are likely to hinder employment prospects. Students from disadvantaged backgrounds are four percentage points below wealthier students in graduate-level employment or further study, three percentage points lower for students with disabilities and five and two points lower for black and Asian students respectively.

The OfS has noted that these disparities persist even when entry grades and subject choice are accounted for.

However, more young people than ever from disadvantaged backgrounds are attending leading universities thanks to widening participation schemes that are enabling greater access to elite institutions.

Whilst the University of Warwick was recently ranked 19th most unequal in the country in terms of rich to poor student ratio, improvements have been made recently to outreach programmes, including free revision sessions over the Easter break for A-level students in the local area.