Image: Pablo Sandomingo Adams

Men’s Futsal edged out in cup final

The Warwick Men’s Futsal team were unfortunate to lose to the University of Worcester in the BUCS Cup Final this Sunday in the Desso Hall. The final tally was 9-6 in Worcester’s favour, but that does not tell the whole story of a match that went into overtime and was very exciting and incredibly hard-fought.

Worcester scored the first goal, but from that point forward Warwick dominated the first half, scoring five goals (Murphy (2), Can, Bernardi and Shrestha). In the second half, Worcester began to have more possession and clear chances, as Warwick sat back and depended heavily on their goalkeeper Chandraker’s fine saves to keep Worcester from flipping the script. However, the Worcester attack kept up and regulation time ended with the score at 5-5, with the final goal coming in the last minute as Warwick defended well but could not keep a long shot from the back of the net.

That does not tell the whole story of a match that went into overtime and was very exciting and incredibly hard-fought

Warwick began the first half of extra time confidently, with Brown scoring on their first attacking play from kick-off. Worcester tied the match again just before half time and scored another three in the second half of extra time to win the BUCS cup.

It was a scrappy match, with several fouls committed by each side. However, it was surprising that Warwick conceded a penalty and Worcester did not, given the visitors’ infractions were far more violent. Warwick were also unlucky with injuries, as the constant clashes and falls took their tally and injured two of the home side’s players.

It is sad to have to mention some poor sportsmanship on behalf of the Worcester team and its fans, who together contested every referee call that was not in their favour and directed insulting comments at the Warwick side from the stands. The Worcester side also rushed the court after every goal and reacted aggressively to some of the Warwick fouls.

Comments (1)

  • I would firstly like to congratulate Worcester University Men’s First Team. Secondly, thank everyone that gave their time and effort to watch the match, id strongly urge anyone that has read this bias and bitter article to watch the match. This will allow you to truly see what happened on the day of the event. But again well done Worcester! you boys have come a long way.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.