Warwick Women: Larissa Kennedy

In honour of this year’s International Women’s Week, we spoke to some of Warwick’s most inspiring women. Despite having interviewed her in the past, we couldn’t think of anyone better to include than Larissa Kennedy, the president of Warwick Anti-Racism Society and co-president of Warwick Anti-Sexism Society.  Apart from these two university roles, she is also an accomplished individual who does everything from being a Trustee for the British Youth Council to working as a representative at Youth for Change. Next year, she’ll be the Education Officer at Warwick Students’ Union (SU).

You are a Trustee for the British Youth Council (BYC). What is BYC and what does your role entail?

BYC is the national youth council of the UK, and it supports young people to get involved in their communities and democracy locally, nationally and internationally. As a member of the Trustee Board, I take responsibility for all financial and legal aspects of the organisation, for setting its vision and values, & for helping to develop its strategic direction. BYC facilitates the Votes at 16 Coalition and supports young people to campaign for lowering the voting age.

What is this campaign and why is it important?

Every year BYC undertakes ‘Make Your Mark’: a public vote for 11 to 18 year olds across the UK to have their say on what issues matter most to them. Last year, just under 1,000,000 young people took part, and the UK-wide topic that was considered most important was Votes at 16. For years, the young people of BYC have been calling for their right to influence key decisions that affect their lives and, whilst Scotland and Wales have honoured this right, it’s time for the rest of the UK to do the same!

You are also a Representative at Youth for Change. Can you tell us about Youth for Change and what your work there involves?

Youth For Change is a youth-led project, working to end gender-based violence in the UK, Tanzania and Bangladesh. I am the UK’s Representative to our global secretariat, so I work on strategy and comms from a global perspective, bringing the voices of our country teams together with a unified vision for a world free of gender-based violence. The UK campaign, #TrainToProtect, calls for school staff to be trained on Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) and child, early and forced marriage (CEFM), so that they are able to protect and support their students. We work with the Department for International Development and the Department for Education in order to realise this goal.

What has been your proudest achievement as an activist?

My proudest achievement as an activist so far was helping to run the first ever National Schools’ Conference on Combatting ‘Honour’ Based Violence (HBV). At this event, we trained teachers, school staff, healthcare professionals, police officers, and young people on FGM and CEFM. The most incredible part, though, was empowering other young people to be agents of change in their communities.

The most difficult challenge you have faced as an activist?

Activism is, often, emotionally draining, and that can take a toll on your mental health. Luckily, I have incredible support networks around me who always reinvigorate my passion for what I do, and renew my sense of purpose.

What changes would you most like to see on Warwick campus?

One of the most shocking things about coming to Warwick, for me, has been the amount of racism that I’ve received and that I’ve become aware of on our campus. I am keen to see an active stance against racism, and following the #WarwickSpeakOut campaign that I have directed as President of WARSoc, in collaboration with the SU, I am hoping that the stories and experiences of students of colour will propel our university into action.

What is the best piece of advice you could give young women at university?

Get to know yourself. 1. Get to know what methods of self-care work for you. 2. Get to know what you dreams are, and what drives you – outside of the sphere of others’ expectations. 3. Get to know your limitations. Often, we think of limits as a negative thing but, in a world that expects women and femmes to be everything to everyone, saying no (when needs be) is crucial.

What women inspire you the most and why?

I’m grateful to have women and femmes in my life that inspire me everyday – the list would be too long to give you here! The first women to inspire me, though, were my mum, my sister and my nan. I come from a long line of strong, opinionated Caribbean women and it’s their ability to overcome adversity, to fight for their survival and to achieve the unexpected that has made me who I am today