Michael Georgiou wins 2018 Snooker Shoot Out

Michael Georgiou has won the 2018 Coral Snooker Shoot Out, defeating Graeme Dott 67-56 in the final.

It is the Cypriot player’s first ranking title, and it came after a tight battle.

A new name on the trophy was guaranteed after defending champion Antony McGill lost to Mark Davis in the first round, after his opponent made a break of 102.

Georgiou had played very well to secure his place in the final on the last day of action. He scored a 73 to defeat former runner-up Luca Brecel, before producing a tournament-high break of 10 to knock out China’s Zhang Yong. He was in control of the semi-final battle with Martin O’Donnell, and must have felt ready to take on Dott in the final ten-minute frame of the competition.

It was the Cypriot who drew first blood, constructing an excellent early break of 52 to make his mark on the frame. But the pressure was clear when he returned to the table – he missed a simple black off its spot, and let Dott in with five minutes remaining.

The former world champion raced around the table, compiling an excellent 51 to the brown. He later added the blue – there was just pink and black left on the table, Dott was five points behind his opponent, and it was anyone’s chance. The duo traded blows on the pink as the timer ran down, and after Dott hit the jaw, he left his opponent to pot the pink and secure the victory.

After the match, Georgiou said: “Everyone dreams of trophies when they are children so it’s all been worth it. I enjoy the format, the crowd and the buzz but I didn’t expect this.”

Dott said: “Two finals in two weeks is good but it’s always disappointing when you lose a final. I’ll take the positives but just wish I landed a little bit different on the pink.”

The former world champion lost to Mark Williams in the final of the German Masters a week before this tournament.

The Snooker Shout Out continues to have its detractors, and there’s still scepticism over whether it truly deserves the title of ranking tournament. Yet, for those who do enjoy it, there was a final with all the drama and top snooker of any other professional event, and an occasional break away from the norm can hardly be considered a totally bad thing.