Get the grades and the gains

Exam season is approaching and suddenly the gym becomes a distant memory. Sound familiar? If it does, it doesn’t need to be that way. There are plenty of ways to keep fit in small ten-minute breaks when exams and deadlines are looming, depending on what types of exercise you prefer.

Get out and about

If you want to get some fresh air, a 10-minute power walk outside in between study sessions is perfect. A 10-minute brisk walk is enough to burn off a small cookie, and we know that when they’re on sale at Rootes, they can be hard to resist. So put on your shoes and walk outside for ten minutes, three or four times a day, and get some fresh air (this will also help you to concentrate better when you actually study).

Exercise from your desk

If you’d rather stay close to those textbooks, maybe ‘deskercise’ would suit you. It sounds silly, but for some it can prove to be very beneficial. An example of this is to face away from your desk and do a few tricep dips whilst holding onto it, or face the other way and do a few desk push-ups. Regardless of how you might look, it’s a good way to get your blood pumping (and no one can see you in your room!).

Keep on your feet

Another very simple thing you can do in your room is to put your laptop (or other study materials) somewhere you can use it whilst standing. Sitting down for long periods of time isn’t great and sometimes studying does require it, but there are times when it’s possible to work without sitting. If you’re just reading or doing work which doesn’t require extensive writing, then standing whilst you do it, and shifting your weight from foot to foot occasionally to keep your legs moving and get your circulation flowing has been shown to have numerous health benefits. It may not be typical exercise but it’s a good way to limit your time spent sitting down.

Download apps to help

Finally, there are plenty of apps you can get on your phone or on your laptop which give you fun and slightly more intense at-home workouts, from seven-minute energising full-body workouts to specific workouts for arms, legs etc. These don’t usually require any equipment so it’s easy to make space on the floor in your room and fit in a swift workout, leaving you feeling reinvigorated for your studies!

Multitask your studies

If you’re really hesitant about giving up revision time to exercise, you can always listen to pre-recorded notes whilst you do any of these activities, or watch videos while you are working out in your room. And to top it all off, when you get back to your desk you’ll feel refreshed, and hopefully more motivated to continue studying.

These are some quick ways to help you keep fit during deadline season, so go ahead and give them a try and see what suits you. Remember though, there’s nothing wrong with taking time out of your studies to do the exercise you normally do. Whether it’s going to the gym or playing on a sports team, spending a well-deserved break being active is always a good thing!