Image: Sam Carpenter/Flickr

LWS Leamington Night Shelter avoids closure

A local homeless shelter was recently at risk, with plans submitted to Warwick District Council that could have seen it demolished to make way for student accommodation. The plans were refused, although the future of LWS Night Shelter remains uncertain.

The shelter, based at The Priors Club on Tower Street, has been providing food and shelter to the homeless community since 2015. Set up by Susan Rutherford and Vishal Chauhan, both Warwick medical students at the time, the shelter was originally intended to run for just one winter.

Now in the middle of its third, the shelter has become a source of aid for the homeless population of Leamington, attempting to open every weekend to support those living on the streets.

However, the owner of The Priors Club — who has charitably allowed the shelter to use the premises rent-free — proposed plans to knock down the building, in order to construct housing for students.

Three flats with nineteen bedrooms would have been built under the plans. Permission to build on the premises has been sought by the owner continually since the opening of the club.

Although the latest plans were refused, there is no guarantee that this will happen again in the future.

The shelter provides food and protection to between 30 and 40 individuals each evening

Only one other shelter is based in town, opening its doors for two nights a week in winter and just one in the summer. Should LWS Night Shelter fail to raise enough funds and face closure in the future, the number of nights people on the streets can find warmth and safety would be halved. The shelter provides food and protection to between 30 and 40 individuals each evening, with as many as 15 of those choosing to stay overnight, although during colder seasons this number can rise as high as 25.

Local politicians were also vocal about the recent developments. Jonathan Chilvers, Green Party councillor in South Leamington, told The Boar: “I’m pleased that the Priors club application was refused. The proposal would have tried to stuff too many students into tiny rooms in a small space. The refusal also gives some breathing space to the LWS Night Shelter as they fund raise for their new building.

“Both rough sleeping and ‘sofa surfing’ homeless continue to rise in Leamington because of closure of hostel spaces and benefit changes. It is great that so many students help people who are homeless and/or struggling with addiction in so many ways.”

Both rough sleeping and ‘sofa surfing’ homeless continue to rise in Leamington because of closure of hostel spaces and benefit changes
Jonathan Chilvers, Green Party councillor in South Leamington

He added: “But please, if you want to help an individual, either buy food, the Big Issue or support the person through a charity — don’t perpetuate the cycle of addiction by giving money directly.”

Mr Matt Western, MP for Warwick & Leamington, also commented for The Boar: “The Leamington Winter Shelter do invaluable work in our area, and I’m proud to support them whenever I can. With rising homelessness, they need to be given more facilities, not less, so I’m very pleased with the decision to keep their current premises.

“The homelessness crisis in this country is entirely unacceptable – the National Audit Office tells us there has been a 134% rise in rough sleeping since 2010.”

Warwick University students also volunteer at the shelter. Noel Brooks, a second-year who has volunteered regularly with the shelter since January 2017, told The Boar: “Although it’s not our responsibility nor our fault, our presence has an effect and it’s important to see that.”

He added: “The housing market in Leamington is, in a large part, made for students. I think we should do our best to counteract the effect we have on the homeless community.”

The homelessness crisis in this country is entirely unacceptable – the National Audit Office tells us there has been a 134% rise in rough sleeping since 2010
Matt Western, MP for Warwick & Leamington

The shelter relies on four volunteers being available each night, and on occasions has had to close due to a lack of support. More volunteers are required to work the additional morning and evening shifts, with catering being entirely dependent on volunteers willing to cook for the guests.

On their website, the shelter gives details for how to join the group as a volunteer and help keep LWS running. In addition, their Facebook page released a reverse advent calendar over Christmas, revealing each day what items they are short of at the shelter.

Donations are welcome, and upon returning to Leamington in January, students who find themselves with extra bedding or old clothes can help by giving them to the shelter.

There is the possibility of relocation for the shelter. The offer of a new venue has been made to the group, with the condition they raise the £60,000 needed to make it habitable and ready for use.

To support fundraising for the new venue, which at present has raised £6283 of their £60,000 requirement, please visit https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/lwsnightshelter.

Homeless support services in Leamington have faced issues in the past, with cuts faced by such services leading to a hold-up in accommodating the area’s homeless last year.

• Pat Fletcher

Do you have a phone contact number ?

• Pat Fletcher

Hello, I have a lot of towels I no longer need and wonder if they would be of use to you? I live near Banbury but my daughter is driving me to Leamington next Friday ( 4th ) for a noon appointment. If you would like them where can we deliver them and to whom ? Sincerely yours, Pat Fletcher