Photo: Sarah Morland

Cuts to homelessness support reach crisis point in Leamington Spa

Dramatic overnight cuts to Warwickshire’s homelessness support services have led to the closure of three hostels in Warwick and Leamington Spa, slashing the number of beds from 120 to 57.

The increased pressure on local hostels is causing a hold-up in accommodating the area’s homeless.

The cuts are the result of an August 1 contract in which Warwickshire County Council agreed to save £92 million by 2018, halving the housing support budget to £4.8million in the same time-frame.

Two long-term support hostels in Leamington Spa – Eden Villa and William Wallsgrove House (alongside Beauchamp House in Warwick) – are set to close. These hostels provided mental health, addiction and budgeting support as well as accommodation for their residents.

While the hostels are not being closed until its residents are re-situated, the transition has overloaded the system and caused difficulties in accommodating new applicants.

Last month, there were a number of complaints from Leamington Parade shopkeepers that rough sleepers were putting off their customers and leaving their bedding in doorways.

A handful have been reallocated to Avon House, on Portland Street. However, the 27-bed hostel has not received adequate funding and new applicants face a long waiting list. Other residents have been moved to other shared houses and supported accommodation.

The cuts have been bid as an attempt to redistribute costs between Warwickshire District and Nuneaton and Bedsworth. However, demand for homelessness support remains higher in Warwick District, particularly Leamington Spa.

The area has seen a steep increase in homelessness within the last few years, with approximately 20 rough sleepers and as many as 200 homeless in the district today. The strain on the system is resulting in more people not receiving the support they need to find housing.

This comes at a peak time for homelessness support applications, as the temperature drops.

Emergency night shelters are currently provided four nights a week in Leamington Spa, by the Leamington Night Shelter and the LWS Night Shelter, run by Warwick Homed. In case of severe weather (three consecutive nights below zero degrees), the District Council provides B&B accommodation.

Photo: Sarah Morland
There are 20 rough sleepers known in Leamington Spa. Photo: Sarah Morland

Maria Ball, a spokesperson for The Salvation Army, which has run the 11-bed Eden Villa Lifehouse for 13 years, said that although the charity had appealed to continue the service through Local Authority funding, they were unsuccessful. Home Group, Avon House’s new provider, will continuing to offer support.

Ms Ball told the Boar: “We have made a commitment to our current clients at the centre to re-house them appropriately at our own cost, as there is no alternative accommodation for them in the new contract, due to the reduction in bed spaces.”

“We will be looking at next steps for the building and our work within Leamington Spa. We will keep local people aware of plans for the site.”

Labour County councillor Matt Western said: “Some of our most vulnerable members of society are being left with very little support. It has reached crisis point.”

“There is increasing pressure on these organisations and there simply isn’t the funding to support the additional demand.”

Politicians inside the Westminster bubble talk about cuts as if there aren’t any consequences. The sharp increase in homelessness we’re seeing is what the reality looks like in Leamington.”

Martin Luckhurst, Night Shelter volunteer

South Leamington Green Party campaigner and Night Shelter volunteer Martin Luckhurst also commented: “These cuts from central government are directly affecting the lives of people who are homeless and most need our help. Hostels offer a valuable stepping stone to assist people to get their lives back on track.”

“Now the numbers of beds have been slashed how are people going to get back to work and supporting their families without somewhere to live?”

“Politicians inside the Westminster bubble talk about cuts as if there aren’t any consequences. The sharp increase in homelessness we’re seeing is what the reality looks like in Leamington.”