Science Explains: Why we should deck the halls nice and early

If you’ve already pulled on a well-loved Christmas jumper, or started singing along to your favourite Christmas bangers over the last few weeks, you’ll likely have prompted sneers from the frightful parade of seasonal curmudgeons. These self-appointed defenders of propriety zealously police the enjoyment of Christmas prior to the December threshold, attempting to outlaw the smallest smidge of fun before the first of the month. Fortunately for us freer spirits, we have science on our side.

Psychology has come to our aid by revealing exactly why we get excited for Christmas so early. The reason lies in experiences of Christmas past, particularly childhood memories of excitement and happiness. According to psychoanalyst Steve McKeown, “decorations are simply an anchor or pathway to those old childhood magical emotions of excitement.” Getting in the festive spirit is a sure-fire way to hijack your brain and treat yourself to some lovely feelings courtesy of nostalgia – the secret extra present that comes free with every happy childhood Christmas. So by waiting until closer to the date to get excited, the wet-blankets are only losing out on some extra joy. Chumps.

Psychology has come to our aid by revealing exactly why we get excited for Christmas so early…

Students also have a particular excuse for decking the halls as early as we can, because of the way the reward-system is hard-wired into our young, supple brains. As the brain’s dopamine system is now understood to deteriorate with age, younger people still get a chemical thrill from the contemplation of the receipt of presents. Unlike elderly relatives, whom frustratingly appear indifferent to the prospect of receiving gifts (though this may be a result of the disappointingly utilitarian presents they tend to be given), we youngsters are biologically constituted to be a bundle of excitement. So, chalk it down to dopamine and crank up the Bublé.

There are even incidental benefits to getting into the Christmas spirit nice and early. A study from the Journal of Environmental Psychology showed that participants viewed the owners of lavishly decorated homes as more friendly and sociable than the inhabitants of more drab dwellings. So by spreading some festive cheer early, you’re likely to come across as a delightful, accessible, and cheery member of society. This again is a function of our general association of positive feelings with the Yuletide season.

By spreading some festive cheer early, you’re likely to come across as a delightful, accessible, and cheery member of society…

So – to the gaolers of garrulousness, to the Scrooge-like sourpusses, to the curmudgeonly ‘keepers’ of Christmas – the science is clear. Celebrating the holiday early is a function of our human psychology, is linked to our brain circuitry, and makes us appear to be much nicer people. So no matter when you’re reading this article,  you are totally and completely justified in heading out and decking the halls! Unless it’s before Halloween. Now that really is too early.