10 Films to Look forward to in 2018

2017 has been a year of turmoil, and going to the cinema has been a great way to escape this reality. As we finally approach a new year, it’s time to have a look at some of the films we can get excited for in 2018. We all know about the big blockbusters hitting screens, like Avengers: Infinity War, the next Jurassic World (take a look at our trailer run-downs here and here!) and Deadpool 2 to name a few. So here a few more left-field choices you might not have heard of to look out for over the year!

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (January 12th)

Generating a lot of Oscar buzz right now is Martin McDonagh’s Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, which has been held over to 2018 for its UK release. Known for his black comedies like In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths, this is the first of McDonagh’s films to generate this kind of buzz, but not the first to be critically adored for its sharp and dark humour. With performances that are gathering awards attention – most notably the brilliant Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell – Three Billboards looks like a fascinating, though potentially controversial, look into American police brutality. Regardless of its Oscar buzz, it’s worth checking out to see McDonagh at work and to see this cast bounce off each other, with rage if the trailers indicate anything.

Read our review of the upcoming Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri here.

Early Man (January 26th)

Aardman Animations, the beloved British studio behind Wallace and Gromit and Chicken Run, are back with their first feature film in three years. 2018 will be the home to Early Man, which is set in the prehistoric era, wherein a caveman named Dug sets out to save his tribe. All of the delights Aardman cultivate in their work are present in the film’s trailers, including charming stop-motion animation, great wit and fun visual gags. Aardman are a British institution, whose films are made with love and a distinctly British humour, and thus deserve to be supported by audiences in order to keep them going into the future. So support British cinema by seeing Early Man, a lovely family comedy that is sure to be worth your time.

The trailer for Early Man is here:

Black Panther (February 12th)

The Marvel Cinematic Universe’s next tent-pole comes in the form of the long-awaited Black Panther, the solo film featuring Chadwick Boseman’s T’Challa, aka Blank Panther. This is one of the most anticipated Marvel film in years and excitement has only soared with each new trailer, boasting stunning visuals, bursting with awe-inspiring imagery and colour. With bags of diversity in front of and behind the camera – chiefly seen to by director, Ryan Coogler, who directed the excellent Creed in 2015 – Black Panther finally brings some much needed representation to the MCU, and to superhero films in general. The cast is stacked with incredible talent and the action looks fantastic. It is definitely something to look out for in 2018, even if you’re not a superhero fan.

The trailer for Black Panther can be seen here:

Lady Bird (February 16th)

Another of this year’s holdovers and one of the big frontrunners for the 2018 Oscars is Lady Bird. After building up a reputation as a star and writer of independent female-driven comedies, Greta Gerwig makes her solo directorial debut with this acclaimed coming-of-age tale. It is beloved by critics – with an impressive 99% on Rotten Tomatoes – and is currently sweeping up award nominations, though even without this response it would be a definite must-see. Led by the two-time Oscar nominee, Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf as the mother and daughter pair of the film, Lady Bird is an incredibly touching, funny and moving story of the pains of adolescence, told from a true female perspective.

Annihilation (February 23rd)

Alex Garland’s Ex Machina was one of the best films of 2015 and the most exciting new sci-fi film in years, which automatically made his next film appointment viewing. Annihilation continues in the same sci-fi/horror vein and from its trailers, it could be just as good, if not better than Ex Machina. Based on the award-winning novel by Jeff VanderMeek, the film focuses on a group embarking on an expedition into the mysterious and uninhabited Area X, where eleven previous groups have gone and never come back. The premise may not seem massively innovative, but the novel’s reputation is strong, the cast is excellent and the trailers show off Garland’s ability to create a chilling atmosphere and interesting visuals. Let’s hope Annihilation keeps up the streak of great original sci-fi films from the last several years.

A Wrinkle in Time (March 23rd)

Based on the classic novel by Madeleine L’Engle, Disney brings a big-budget fantasy adventure, directed by Ana DuVernay, known for directing Selma and the stunning documentary 13th. The trailers are packed with striking images, filled with innovation and colour, whilst DuVernay’s prowess as a director will be interesting to see in an expensive family spectacle like this. Known for her outspoken conversations regarding diversity in Hollywood, DuVernay showcases a diverse range of actors in the film’s cast. While Disney’s big-budgeted films without a proven franchise or brand have a history of critical and box office failure, A Wrinkle in Time’s proven team of creatives – including a score from Game of Thrones’ Ramin Djawadi – look set to buck the trend and is sure to tell a moving family adventure.

Isle of Dogs (March 30th)

Wes Anderson is back, with his first stop-motion film since Fantastic Mr. Fox, Isle of Dogs – about a post-apocalyptic Japan where dogs have been quarantined to an isolated island. All the elements of Anderson’s quirky style are evident in the film’s trailer, which already features some stunning animation that will be a marvel to see on a big screen. Anderson seems to be taking full advantage of the Japanese setting, having stated that he has been greatly influenced by Kurosawa’s films, illustrating how he is adapting his style to create variations on his trademark aesthetic. Thus, coming off the career high of The Grand Budapest Hotel, Anderson looks set to deliver on another stunning filmic achievement.

Incredibles 2 (July 13th)

It’s been over thirteen years (thirteen!!) since The Incredibles arrived in cinemas and ever since the whole internet has been clamouring for a sequel to the beloved Pixar classic. Finally our dreams came true with a sequel announcement in March 2014, and now its release is fast approaching. The original director, Brad Bird is back on board, whilst all the beloved characters of the first one seem to be returning, so expectations are sky high. While we’ve seen little real footage of the film, the teaser trailer is enough to wet our appetite, featuring a taste of Michael Giacchino’s iconic theme and the adorable Jack-Jack demonstrating his powers. The wait is finally almost over, so bring on July 13th!

The Happytime Murders (August 17th)

Perhaps the most bizarre film on this list, The Happytime Murders is an R-rated puppet crime comedy, where a puppet private eye teams up with his ex-partner, played by Melissa McCarthy, to track a serial killer who is hunting down the cast members of The Happytime Gang, a beloved classic puppet show. Sound strange enough? Produced by the Henson Company themselves and directed by famed Muppets director and company head, Brian Henson, Happytime represents a darker turn for the company famous for the Muppets. It looks to be a darkly funny treat for the end of the summer with a cast of gifted comedic actors alongside McCarthy, including Saturday Night Live’s Maya Rudolph and Community’s Joel McHale.

Widows (November 9th)

While the all-female installment of the Ocean’s franchise, Ocean’s Eight just dropped a trailer and boasts an awesome looking ensemble, everyone should watch out for another female driven heist movie later in the year – Widows. Its creative pedigree is outstanding, with Steve McQueen as director on his first feature since the Oscar winning 12 Years a Slave and a script written alongside Gillian Flynn, the acclaimed thriller novelist best known for Gone Girl. Based on a 1983 ITV series, the film focuses on four widows stepping up to finish the heist their husbands were killed doing. Having Viola Davis as a lead would be enough to make this a must-see alone, but she’s backed up by three other terrific actresses in Elizabeth Debicki, Michelle Rodriguez and Broadway’s Cynthia Erivo. Little else is known about the film, but these details are enticing enough to have us excited to see how this turns out in 2018.