Image credits: Warwick Media Library

What’s on in Term 1: our picks of theatre, comedy and entertainment

This term Warwick boasts a magnificent choice of entertainment to kick off the new academic year with a bang. From art to comedy to drama, we have gathered a few key events to keep you amused and excited through the winter months. Warwick Arts Centre is can be found in the centre of campus; offering us cultural treats and entertainment, it is important to make the most of this brilliant artistic hub which sits right on our doorstep. We’ve sifted through to provide you with the very best entertainment that the University of Warwick has to offer you.

Kaleidoscope Exhibition, 4 Oct – 9 Dec

From 6-8pm on 4 October the curators of the Mead Gallery warmly welcome all Warwick students to the opening party of the new Kaleidoscope exhibition celebrating bold and daring geometric artwork. Not only will this be a fabulous way to get to know the Arts Centre, but it will also be a great meeting place for creative and like-minded students, so the perfect way to settle into a term of arts at Warwick.

Greg Davies – You Magnificent Beast, 5 Oct + 26 Nov

Whether you are an Inbetweeners fan or not, Greg Davies’ brilliant new tour, which is coming to the Arts Centre for two dates this winter, will be sure to offer you a fun-filled night of non-stop laughs. After having taken a four-year break, and with tickets under £30 for students, it would be a shame to miss “one of this country’s best comedians” (The Times) when he comes to our home on two very special occasions this term.

DC Fest, 11 – 14 Oct

Warwick students are nationally renowned for their magnificent theatre. To showcase their exciting new programme, Warwick University Drama Society (WUDS) is putting on a must-see festival. DC Fest is extending the Freshers fun into Week 2 to bring you a broad range of theatre spanning from international politics to extra-terrestrial life forms. The aim of the festival, however, is to offer all students a chance to see and experience the magic that is created by this society each and every year.

NT Live Presents: Hamlet, 22 Oct

Not only does Warwick Arts Centre offer us magnificent live theatre and comedy, but its cosy (and very reasonably priced) cinema, brings us live streamings of the world-renowned theatre taking place at The National in London. This year the Olivier and BAFTA Award-winning Benedict Cumberbatch will be available to watch on the big screen, playing the distinguished lead role in Shakespeare’s Hamlet. As we are studying in the county of Shakespeare’s birth place, it seems appropriate and loyal to our surroundings to witness Cumberbatch’s magnificent display of dexterity and articulacy.

Emerge Festival, 30-31 Oct

Finally, Emerge is an exciting partnership between Warwick Arts Centre and the Department of Theatre and Performance Studies. The festival celebrates the innovative and influential theatre that both current and graduate companies from Warwick produce. This year the festival is hosting four shows all equally worth a watch. However, if you are looking for a fun, energetic and invigorating Tuesday night, Celebration is a simple and beautiful exploration of friendship.