Image: freestocks.org / Unsplash
Image: freestocks.org / Unsplash

An honest discussion about the morning after pill

It is a fact that no women happily choses to take the morning after pill. It is called ‘emergency contraception’ for a reason. In the UK there are two types of emergency contraception, Levonelle, to be taken up to 72 hours after unprotected sex or when contraception has failed. There is also ellaOne, which is effective for up to five days after. Both pills work by preventing or delaying ovulation. If a mountain of side effects and an intrusive consultation isn’t pleasant enough already, research has shown that in the UK women are being forced to pay up to five times more for emergency contraception than other European countries.

The British Pregnancy Advisory Service recently launched a campaign named “Just say non” where they exposed the extortionate price of the Emergency Contraception of leading British retailer Boots. The campaign exposes the fact that Boots is selling Levonelle for £28.25, where as in France the exact same pill is being sold for only 7 Euros. While Boots does follow the NHS scheme for allowing for the distribution of free emergency contraception, this is only the case if a Pharmacist is available for a consultation.  The campaign argues that essentially that UK women are subject to sexist discrimination when it comes to their sex lives. When challenged with the cost of the emergency contraception, Boots responded by stating that lowering the price would ‘incentivise inappropriate use.’

Research conducted by BPAS has found that: ‘Around a third of British women have had an episode of unprotected sex in the last 12 months’…

By claiming that reducing the cost of EHC would lead to ‘inappropriate use’ is, first and foremost, patronizing. It undermines a woman’s decision regarding her own body. By all means, encourage safe sex. Promote consent. Raise awareness of the many forms of contraception available.  But, surely in 2017 a woman should be free to choose if she wants to use emergency contraception and not be held back by financial restraints? Laura Bates, a journalist for The Independent, claims that ‘what’s really ‘inappropriate’ is deliberately making it more difficult for people to avoid unwanted pregnancies.’ Research conducted by BPAS has found that: ‘Around a third of British women have had an episode of unprotected sex in the last 12 months, but in the vast majority of cases have not used EC afterwards.’ One can only assume, that easier and cheaper access to the pill would reduce this statistic and give more women the chance to avoid unwanted pregnancies.

There are many options for a reduced price or even a free emergency pill. Tesco and Superdrug, who recently reduced their prices, charge around £13.50 for the pill. Free Emergency contraception is available from GPs, Sexual Health Clinics and NHS Walk in centres. Disappointingly, the lack of availability of appointments in centres, such as the Warwick Health Centre, may leave students forcing to spend their own money.

It is about time women should not have a burden placed on them for engaging in a sex life…

Emergency contraception is not an issue that women should face alone and certainly not an issue we should be afraid to talk about. Once an issue fought just by feminists should now be a conversation for the many. It is about time Boots follows in the footsteps of their fellow retailers. It is about time women should not have a burden placed on them for engaging in a sex life. And most importantly, it is about time women are free to make their own decisions about their sexual health.