Image: Pexels

Following in the footsteps of Warwick alumni

A degree in a STEM subject presents many career paths both within and outside the sector. However, your Warwick degree could take you in directions you have never even considered. Warwick has many notable STEM alumni, so who knows what you could achieve with the effort you put into your degree…

Ian Stewart

Ian Stewart is a popular science and science-fiction writer who originally studied mathematics at the University of Cambridge. Stewart is a fellow of the Royal Society and has received many awards including the Michael Faraday award. Upon the completion of his doctorate at the University of Warwick, he became an Emeritus professor here at the university. He was the editor of the mathematics magazine, Manifold, whilst at Warwick. Today, he has written articles for many journals including Scientific American and New Scientist. While you might decide to take on an editorial position or write for a newspaper or journal at Warwick, one day it might become your full-time profession.

Benjamin Hope

Benjamin Hope studied mathematics and physics at Warwick followed by a PhD in theoretical nanoscience at the University of Cambridge. During his university vacations, he used to spend his time painting, and then pursued a career in fine art after finishing his education. His mother is also an artist which might have been the source of his interest. Hope’s work involves still life and impressionistic portraits, among many other forms, where he makes use of oil, charcoal, pastel and pencil in his creations. Hope has achieved a lot of recognition and awards for his work, some of which has been displayed at exhibitions such as the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition, 2013. You never know how far the hobbies you pick up at Warwick will take you!

Tony Wheeler

Warwick engineering graduate Tony Wheeler became the co-founder of the Lonely Planet guidebook company alongside his wife Maureen Wheeler. He also has an MBA from the London Business School. The shares of the Lonely Planet company were purchased by BBC Worldwide bringing the net worth of the couple to $190 million! After the deal, Wheeler and Maureen set up Planet Wheeler; a charitable organisation funding projects in developing countries. While for some it might feel like you’re selling your soul to machines, the skills that you develop by studying an engineering degree clearly prepare you for the outside world.

Bob Kerslake

Bob Kerslake studied mathematics at Warwick and was the secretary of the Warwick SU. He has been involved with many roles within the Civil Service including the former Head of the Civil Service and has earned the status of Lord Kerslake. He currently serves as the president of the Local Government Association as well as the permanent secretary at the Department for Communities and Local Government. In the 2005 New Year’s Honours, he was knighted “for services to Local Government”. Evidently, hard-work could provide you opportunities to serve and directly impact society.

It is now down to female scientists like myself to change this, and indeed it’s very likely that you or your peers will be the ones to turn the situation on its head with your achievements…

Whilst these alumni highlight that your hard-work at university pays off, you may have noticed there are no women mentioned in this post. Despite lots of research, I found little mention of female Warwick alumni working in the STEM sector.  Obviously, the absence of women from the list is a societal problem that needs to be addressed! It is now down to female scientists like myself to change this, and indeed it’s very likely that you or your peers will be the ones to turn the situation on its head with your achievements.