Image credits: Ryan Brownell / Creative Commons

How to nail your first audition

The opportunities in student theatre at the University of Warwick are many and varied. Here at Boar Arts, we love reviewing the fantastic shows put on throughout the year by our talented students.

However, we know that plucking up the courage to audition for your first show can be a daunting experience, so we’ve come up with a list of top tips to help you beat the nerves and get the part you want.

• Think about what you’re interested in and play to your strengths. For example, if you’re not into comedy, don’t audition for comedy. Only audition for the productions that you could really see yourself being part of; otherwise you’re unlikely to get a part and won’t enjoy the experience.

• Read through the audition place slowly. Take your time and look closely at the punctuation, sentence length and anything else that could influence the meaning. Think carefully about how you interpret each of these layers of meaning

• Chill out! Relax – remember you’re auditioning for other students who have been in the same position as you, there’s no need to be scared.

• Accept rejection as part of the process. You’re never going to get the dream part in every show you audition for – don’t let it get you down; pick yourself up and keep trying. Always ask for feedback from your rejections so you can learn from your mistakes and smash your next audition!

Most importantly, enjoy the process! Auditioning and getting involved in student theatre is so much fun, so make the most of it and break a leg!