Image: Andrew Walker / Wikimedia

Coventry makes shortlist for UK’s next City of Culture

Coventry has made the shortlist for the UK City of Culture 2021; the winner of the prestigious title, which will win a £3m grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, will be announced this December.

Coventry, the birthplace of canonical poet Philip Larkin and home of the 2-Tone ska movement, will see off competition from Paisley, Sunderland, Swansea and Stoke-on-Trent. The title is currently held by Hull, which won the award four years ago.

Within months of winning the 2017 title, Hull launched over 450 events, exhibitions and activities, which are estimated to have attracted at least 1.4 million visitors, including 340,000 to its first event. In the same time period, it has seen £1bn investment.

Both Warwick and Coventry universities have supported the bid, providing research for the 20,000-word document which pitched a program of up to a thousand cultural events, should Coventry win the competition.

The organisers hope the title would help galvanise the city’s reputation and give the opportunity to tackle some of its inequalities, as well as providing new creative opportunities for people in the city.

We have seen the impact on Hull and other northern cities such as Glasgow and Liverpool when they were European Capital of Culture, and we believe that this is a massive opportunity for Coventry.
David Burbidge

The city’s bid was officially launched in March of last year, with a 20-foot mechanical Lady Godiva presiding over the event to encourage local businesses to lend their support. Sponsors include Ricoh Arena, Jaguar Land Rover and Birmingham Airport.

Warwick vice-chancellor Stuart Croft commented: “People from across our communities and region will be rightly proud of Coventry’s tremendous achievement.”

“As a principal partner of the bid, I’m delighted that the University of Warwick has worked with partners and friends to deliver a campaign that has highlighted the city’s strengths and celebrated the fantastic culture Coventry has to offer.”

“Through our research and expertise, Warwick has helped to develop a comprehensive research-led bid and demonstrated our commitment to the cultural development of the region in the decades ahead.”

“We look forward to the next exciting challenges in Coventry’s road to becoming UK City of Culture.”

David Burbidge, chairman of the Coventry City of Culture Trust, added: “We have seen the impact on Hull and other northern cities such as Glasgow and Liverpool when they were European Capital of Culture, and we believe that this is a massive opportunity for Coventry.”

“The city council and two universities have been a huge support – especially when we were first getting the bid off the ground – but we must also pay tribute to the business community in the region who have given us incredible financial and moral backing.”