Image: The Boar

Voting opens in Warwick SU’s Spring Election

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Tumblr

Voting for this year’s Warwick Students’ Union (SU) Spring Elections opened at 9am on Wednesday 1 March, and will close at 9pm on Friday 3 March.

The full-time 7 Sabbatical Officer roles, Part-Time Officer roles as well as Warwick’s delegates for the National Union of Students (NUS) Conference are the roles which votes can be cast for.

The real-time voting statistics show that over 700 students – at the time of writing – had already voted in the first two hours.

This equates to 4.1% of the 16381 undergraduate students, and 0.3% and 0.2% of postgraduates and foundation students, respectively.

As usual, History students are leading the way with engagement, with over 10% having already voted.

Hustings for the 7 Sabbatical Officer roles took place on Monday 27 and Tuesday 28 February.

The most hotly contested Sabbatical positions are President and Democracy and Development, with 4 candidates standing for each. Postgraduate Officer, meanwhile, follows the precedent of last year, with only 1 person in the running.

A variety of Part-Time Officer roles also only have a single candidate, including LGBTUA+ Officer and Women’s Officer.

A total of 17 students are running to be Warwick’s NUS delegates.

Election Week, culminating with the “Big D” (Big Decision) on Friday, sees campus covered in cardboard as a means of publicity. Candidates also do lecture shoutouts, hall tours, and social media campaigns.

The results of the week for all roles excluding NUS delegates will be announced on Friday 3 March. NUS delegates will be announced on Monday 6 March.

On her Facebook page, current Democracy and Development Officer Becky Gittins commented: “Voting in the Officer Elections 2017 is NOW OPEN! You know what to do…”

You can vote here.