Image: Warwick Sport

#TeamWarwick athlete profiles: Women’s Football

Flying high in the league, and hungry for a Varsity win, Women’s Football are the latest in our #TeamWarwick profile series.

How long have you been playing Football?

Charlotte Joo (president): I’ve been playing Women’s Football at Warwick since my first year, and have played football generally for as long as I can remember.

Katie Logan: 13 years.

What drew you to the sport? 

CJ: I was really keen to get back into football when I joined Warwick, as I had taken a break from the game for a few years. I don’t know what it was that initially attracted me to football, I’ve just always loved playing.

KL: I played it at lunch times on the field in primary school with the boys. When I moved schools I joined my local girls team to try and make friends and haven’t stopped playing since.

What does #TeamWarwick mean to you?

Image: Warwick Sport

CJ: I think it’s fantastic that there is such an emphasis on Team Warwick, it really feels like all of the sports teams on campus are behind one another. This helps create a fantastic atmosphere at Varsity but also applies all year round. It means a lot to get a win and contribute to the success of Team Warwick.

KL: I am proud to go to Warwick and represent Warwick by playing football.

What do you appreciate most about being a Warwick Sport Performance Club?

CJ: I would have to say the feeling that clubs are valued and the inclusivity of Team Warwick. Campaigns such as the ‘kick homophobia out of sport’ have shown the unity of clubs on campus and to get recognition on social media from Warwick Sport and other Warwick teams is a great feeling.

KL: The opportunity to train twice a week and play matches every week.

You’ve competed in Varsity before – what was the highlight of your Varsity games last year?

KL: Last year was pretty tough and the main thing I took from it was the feeling that we must smash them this year.

Do you have any pre-game/competition rituals? 

CJ: I don’t think I have any rituals in particular. I think it’s just important to have a positive attitude in the dressing room and before kick off. And also to prepare yourself with a good warm up before the match to go into the game as focused, ready and as positive as possible.

KL: Listen to a bit of grime and drum and base to get me pumped for the match.

Thanks to Warwick Sport for their help with this feature Image: Warwick Sport