Image: Facebook, Warwick Riding Club

#TeamWarwick athlete profiles: Riding

Following on from our interview with Riding Club President Becca Wrelton, Katie Voss and Jaime Thorn give us the lowdown on all things riding and #TeamWarwick.

How long have you been involved with Warwick Riding?

Katie Voss: Since first year.

Jaime Thorn: I  have been riding for 18 years since I was 2 years old and have loved it ever since. I am now 20 years old. This is my second year of riding in teams at Warwick and I have been fortunate enough to ride on the A team for these two years.
ad

What drew you to the Sport?

KV: I have done it since very little and wanted to continue it at university.

JT:  My mum had ridden when she was younger and I had always loved animals so she decided to let me go for a ‘pony ride’ when I was two and then the lessons began and I have never looked back. I love the individuality of riding (especially showjumping as that is my main discipline) as its the only sport where you rely on another mind to do well. The bond you build with your horse is unique and I would highly recommend it to anyone (although they need to like horse, otherwise it may be a bit difficult!).
as

What does Team Warwick mean to you?

KV: It means having fun playing the sport you enjoy whilst representing your university.

JT:   To me, Team Warwick is very important as it helps bring together people from all over the country and the world and enables them to do the sport that they love. It is also a fantastic way to encourage people to make new friends, push out of their comfort zones and even try new sports, all with the support and camaraderie of Team Warwick.
as

Can you tell us what you appreciate most about being part of Team Warwick/Warwick Sport Performance Club?

KV: The enjoyment you get from playing the sport and meeting new people.

JT:   I most appreciate the fact that I am able to continue my sport at university as well as try out many other sports due to the diverse range of sports available at Warwick.
as

You’ve competed in Varsity before, what was the highlight of your Varsity games last year?

KV: It was a great team spirit and everyone encouraged each other lots.

JT: My highlight from last year’s Varsity was most probably being able to come together as a bigger team in riding and bringing people of different levels which, in turn, brought a great, uplifting morale to the competition.
as

Do you have any pre-game/competition rituals?

KV: A team talk is always good!

JT: Usually just making sure everyone remembers their dressage test! As well as making sure that everyone is getting plenty of rest for the day ahead. Being an off-campus club, it can be quite difficult to train the night before so it is easier for our teams to get together and discuss the dressage test itself or any tactics for the jumping rounds.