Image: Facebook/University of Warwick Latin and Ballroom Club

#TeamWarwick athlete profiles: Latin and Ballroom

Latin and Ballroom doesn’t compete in Varsity, but that doesn’t make the competition any less special for the club. Kerris Mackley tells us more…

How long have you been doing Latin and Ballroom?

Kerris Mackley: I’ve been doing Latin and Ballroom for 10 years.

What drew you to the sport?

KM: I think anyone who doesn’t admit that Strictly Come Dancing was the reason they wanted to try it out is probably lying. I’m no different.

What does #TeamWarwick mean to you?

KM: Being part of #TeamWarwick is something that both the club and myself pride ourselves on very highly. It means being part of a team and a good one at that; it means you are representing something, and it adds a meaning to the sport that is both vital and irreplaceable.

Image: Warwick Sport

What do you appreciate most about being part of a Warwick Sport Performance club?

KM: I absolutely love it! You’ll find me every weekend waving our Warwick banner like a lunatic and screaming for our dancers and Warwick until my voice has dropped four octaves. It’s been one of the best parts of uni for me.

How does it feel when you compete for #TeamWarwick?

KM: I danced before I came to Warwick and nothing can compare to the experience of being part of Team Warwick. Being able to compete almost every weekend for your university and seeing your results improve throughout the year, along with everyone else’s, is incredible.

Do you have any pre-game/competition rituals?

KM: Dancers have to have pre-comp rituals – there’s a lot to be done! From fake tan to rhinestoning your hair, guaranteed I’ll need at least four hours the night before and two in the morning. 4am is our average wake up on the day of an event!