Image: James Beavis / Facebook

Warwick alumnus sleeping rough at Christmas for homeless charity

James Beavis, a Warwick alumnus and former President of Warwick RAG, is spending a month sleeping rough on the streets of London to raise money and awareness for homeless charity Crisis.

James will be on the streets for 31 days, from 9 December until 9 January. He has been documenting how difficult the experience is through videos on his Facebook page, Homeless at Christmas.

At the time of writing, over £7500 has been raised through the challenge.

The money is going to Crisis, a national homeless charity. They have centres for homeless people across the UK, including in Birmingham, London and Edinburgh.

On the page, James writes: “Crisis does incredible work throughout the year but at Christmas they do something truly special. When other shelters close their doors, Crisis open their arms, welcoming over 4000 guests who have no home.”

I’m regularly appalled by the way in which homeless people are treated and I’d like Warwick students to know that their donations no matter how small make a difference.

James Beavis

James graduated from Warwick in 2015, and was President of RAG (Raising and Giving) from 2012-2013. He is now studying Medicine at the University of Aberdeen.

James told the Boar: “I’m fundraising as the job of helping the homeless unfortunately falls on charities rather than the government. Homelessness has dramatically risen and donations have fallen.

“I’m regularly appalled by the way in which homeless people are treated and I’d like Warwick students to know that their donations no matter how small make a difference.”

He added: “Mostly just treat people on the pavements with respect. I’m struggling and I have an end in sight. I can’t imagine what genuine homeless people go through.”

Patrick Lavery, current President of Warwick RAG, commented: “What James is doing is extremely inspiring, not only raising vital funds, but also spreading awareness about the horrors of homelessness.

“Although we want James to stay safe, we are proud that a former President still has fundraising and this cause at his heart – it goes to show that once you do some form of charity work, there is a long term impact that inspires you to carry on helping a cause.”

Patrick finished: “RAG asks that you donate to James’ Virgin Money page and watch and share his videos. The more people are aware of it, the more change will come of it.”

You can donate to his page here.