Image: Heikki Siltala / Flickr

Women in Sport: Warwick Sport launches involvement schemes

Warwick Sport has launched two different schemes recently in an attempt to get more women involved in sport at the University.

“Warwick Girls Can” made a return after last year, where Warwick Sport claim over 100 women students attended the free events held.

This is part of the national “This Girl Can” programme, and once again this year featured a week of free events between 7-13 November.

Many other universities held events under the “This Girl Can” banner too.

Included in the week was a dance workshop, a wellbeing walk, and a somewhat controversial event styled as a “girls’ night in”. Only the University of Nottingham also held such an event.

A partnership has also been launched with the “Run Like A Girl” team, with a new beginners course starting in October.

Women in sport is an issue of national concern, with a host of organisations and charities set up to encourage more women to get involved.

Societal pressure to appear feminine, and the belief that sport is for boys, are just some of the reasons why numbers of women taking up sport remains low.

There is also a massive imbalance still existing at a professional level, with women professional athletes being paid substantially less than their male counterparts.

You can also read how Comment and Sport have reacted.