Image: Flickr

Are Warwick students ‘creative’ enough for the creative sector?

The creative industry is a popular destination for BA holders. Why? It’s a place where passion and individuality thrive. It’s a dynamic environment filled with opportunities, challenges and a diverse range of job roles, and it’s growing. Since 2014 the creative industry has been the fastest expanding sector in the UK’s economy, according to government statistics. Competitive, demanding and full of talent, it won’t come as a surprise that this industry can be a difficult one to break into. As Warwick BA holders, are we equipped for this? And is this industry the right place to go for a creative job?

The term creative industries generally refers to activities that are concerned with the generation and commercialisation of creativity, ideas, knowledge and information. Alongside artists, media producers and broadcasters, this includes roles in editing, marketing and advertising, directing, critiquing and PR. And these are just a few examples.

I spent my gap year completing an Art Foundation, pondering whether to do an illustration degree. Many hours went into trawling through blogs and websites, searching for a creative career and the best route into it. I wanted a creative outlet for my love of writing and literature, and discovered no shortage of options. It meant I chose an English degree: it was what I loved, and it gave me an adaptable skillset. The more choice the better.

Competitive, demanding and full of talent, this industry can be a difficult one to break into.

This might surprise you. There is a myth that you need a distinctly creative degree to pursue a creative job. But creativity is broad. You don’t need to be Da Vinci or have had work experience with the BBC. But you do need a skillset and a drive. Many jobs require creativity, and not all these jobs fall into the bracket of this industry. But it’s certainly a good place to start if you’re looking to bring your ideas to life.

The most important thing is not to hang around. Start researching now, and begin to tailor things in certain directions. You don’t need one clear, niche career path, but you do need to begin creating a package to showcase to your potential employers. Develop an awareness of what is going on in the industries you are interested in.

Digitisation has allowed the creative industry to move forward and develop in new ways. Marketers and designers have the tools for more complex designs and for new forms of commercialisation. Art is more accessible and has a much wider audience. Careers are adapting and growing; therefore, we must adapt too. Demonstrate that you understand digitisation and its widespread impact. Share and explore your own art and the creations of others on sites like Flickr and Pinterest. Write a blog about something creative that interests you, considering the industry you want to go into. All these things can be referred to in an interview.

Should you choose to try and break in to the creative sector, here are some hints and tips. With a nationally praised Arts Centre, a campus full of sculptures and a vast range of creative module choices in our degrees, Warwick students are already at an advantage. There is no shortage of societies and events that offer insight and involvement into creative careers. We have boundless opportunities to gather knowledge and experience.

You don’t need one clear, niche career path, but you do need to begin creating a package to showcase to your potential employers.

Find activities that show you are flexible and resilient. Careers in the creative industry can mean freelance work, varying hours, a constantly changing environment, and sometimes volunteering just to build up experience. You need the confidence to sell yourself. Demonstrate that you are independent and proactive. That doesn’t mean doing a thousand things, it means doing some things well, and not letting setbacks stop you.

Networking is a particularly big one. Take every opportunity you can to meet people and develop your contact list. Talk to your lecturers. They may know someone with whom you can scoop up work experience. Write a blog, follow industry leaders on Twitter, and set up a LinkedIn account. Show a passion for a creative pursuit. Put your name and your passion out there. If you’re fascinated by model cars, write an article about it. If you love graphic design, hold a Photoshop workshop on campus sometime.

Are humanities degrees enough? I argue yes. Alongside extracurricular knowledge and networks, the skillset you have the chance to develop through your degree already begins to match what many industries look for. Humanities inspire creative thinking, good articulation and concept development. Don’t wait until after your degree. Take the opportunity to learn the skills you might need now.