Image: Warwick Media Library

Warwick Library officially becomes 24-hour

Warwick Library implemented its 24-hour opening times for the first time last night, on Monday 31 October.

The campaign for a 24-hour library was launched in 2014. During the last academic year, Warwick Students’ Union (SU) published a report outlining the benefits extended opening hours would have.

These benefits included creating an all-time accessible study space, allowing students to use books which cannot be borrowed and have silent study areas.

Access to the main Library building along with the collection areas inside are going to be accessible for 24 hours a day.

Following a survey that revealed 83% of respondents were in favour of the change, it was announced in June that the functioning capacity would change to being 24/7.

The extended opening hours will allow students to utilise the study space whenever it suits them.

Up until these changes were implemented, the University House Learning Grid remained open for 24/7-hour use, which will now change from 7am to 10pm.

Jack Prevezer, an English Literature third-year student, commented: “I’m very glad to see that Warwick has finally done what all Russell Group universities have been doing for years – I can finally do my all nighters in peace without the fear of being shooed away at the stroke of twelve.”

Meanwhile, Chloe Wynne, Warwick SU’s Welfare and Campaigns Officer, said: “Don’t feel pressured to camp out overnight – do what suits you best.”