Image: Warwick Media Library

Results of 24-hour library survey

A recent survey conducted by Warwick SU revealed that of the respondents, 83% were in favour of a 24-hour library outside of Term 3.

Also, a total of 82% said that the library is their preferred choice of a 24-hour workspace.

The survey was targeted at students in support of the idea in order to gain a greater understanding of the reasoning behind the demand.

A total of 1195 responses were received, consisting of 1033 undergraduates and 158 postgraduates.

When asked why full use of existing 24-hour space on was not made, 31% said it was not needed yet, 29% had transport issues and 6% were unaware of the location of the learning grid.

The Uni House learning grid is currently the only 24/7 workspace available on campus. Image: Warwick Media Library

Respondents were also asked what additional services it would be important to provide if the library were to be open for 24 hours, 81% wanted late night transport, 75% wanted self-service kitchen facilities and 67% wanted space to relax or rest.

The results from the survey were presented to the 24-hour Library Working Group, consisting of senior university staff and Sabbatical Officers. The group was set up following the presentation of the SU’s research report on the matter.

Education Officer, Charlie Hindhaugh, said “after a long campaign and a lot of hard work” the “official joint bid with the university” for a 24-hour library has been submitted.

Charlie added that the response rate demonstrated “the scale of demand” with the survey providing “invaluable data” which added to the SU’s case.

Yun Shiuan, first-year Psychology student, commented that it was “about time,” as it would be “especially useful when living on campus to get things done as most resources are there.”

First-year Economics student, Darren Limantara, said a 24-hour library would “satisfy popular demand” but the “effects on student wellbeing and health should be considered” as it would “provide an environment for all-nighters every term.”

• Sonali Gidwani

How will the university mitigate costs to international students and to the university’s carbon footprint if this does indeed go through? International students will almost certainly have to bear the brunt of these costs if funding isn’t provided from elsewhere. Warwick is not on track to meet sustainability targets which has detrimental consequences to the environment, to Warwick’s credibility as an institution and furthermore, to costs. These costs will again be passed on to international students, and possibly in the form of campus retail prices. Have the Warwick SU sabbatical officers thought about the welfare of international students and of campus sustainability? They claim to want to include international students in SU life but frankly none of the international students care because they don’t feel represented or included. Has the SU thought about ways to achieve a common ground between a 24-hour library and rising costs? If the SU does secure funding, will it be enough to mitigate costs to students? I didn’t see any evidence of trying to do this in the 24-Hour Library proposal. I’m against the majority of those who want a 24-hour library, but how many of those surveyed were international students? Many universities who do have 24-hour libraries did not charge their international students 20,180 pounds this academic year (2015/2016) We’re being charged that exact amount without a 24-hour library. Contrary to popular belief, we’re not well-off spoilt children, and it’s time our views were represented and addressed sufficiently. Has the University Finance Committee specified where the funds for a 24-hour library would come from, and at what cost?