Photo: Warwick Media Library

Elsewhere at Warwick – 13/11/16

Warwick Jailbreak raises over £25,000
Warwick Jailbreak took place on the weekend of Saturday 5 November. The challenge was to travel as far as possible in 36 hours without using their own money. The winners were second-year students Alixia Tordjman and Elliot Cervantes going under the name ‘Aeli Hit the Road’. They reached Muscat in Oman. A total of over £25,000 was raised for Breast Cancer Now.

Kasbah involved in sexism row
Kasbah Nightclub in Coventry has come under fire over a Kiss Cam installed at their event on Friday 11 November. When criticised for the move – which encouraged people to “neck a munter” – by a female Warwick student, the Kasbah page and owner of the establishment ‘liked’ sexist insults thrown at the student. Others have highlighted that the Kiss Cam itself was sexist and removed the importance of consent, Warwick Anti-Sexism Society included. Kasbah are yet to respond.

New learning grid opens at University House
A new study and learning grid opened on the ground floor of University House on Monday 31 October.The study space will not be open for 24 hours. Learning Grid 2 includes resources found in the library such as iMacs, smartboards, plasma screens and reference books. Group study and presentation rooms are also available through bookings.

Warwick Sport promote free activities for women
Warwick Sport are hosting free activities exclusive to women during the week beginning Monday 7 November to celebrate women keeping active. A free women-only gym slot and a ‘Girls Night In’ is included as part of the national ‘This Girl Can’ campaign. There will also be free fitness classes including yoga, boxing and dance classes along with taster sessions from 23 different sports.

Society Initiations take place
Societies and sports clubs have been carrying out their initiations to welcome new members. Sports clubs such as the Men’s Rugby Union Club are notorious for head-shaving and competitive circling whilst performance societies, such as Musical Theatre, held a house crawl. Others got messy with Classical and Modern Dance adoptions seeing new members doused in egg and flour at Kelsey’s.