Image: Alex Jennings

#BUCSWednesday Notepad: Week 8

There’s no denying it: this week wasn’t the best #BUCSWednesday for #TeamWarwick. Just four of our university’s teams who were playing at home managed to win, thanks to some tough matches in league and cup. As numerous sports men and women have said down the years: “we go again…”

Results at a glance:
15 wins, o draws, 22 defeats
Top three wins:
University of Birmingham Men’s Hockey 1s 0-9 University of Warwick Men’s Hockey 2s
University of Staffordshire Men’s Lacrosse 1s 1-7 University of Warwick Men’s Lacrosse 1s
University of Loughborough Women’s Squash 1s 0-4 University of Warwick Women’s Squash 1s

Not quite the magic of the cup

Nothing in football wets the appetite quite like the cup. A large crowd of devoted fans occupied the touchline at Cryfield as Warwick Men’s Football 1s looked to  progress against Manchester 1s in the last 32 of the BUCS 2016/17 trophy. Both these sides came into the fixture struggling for league form, so the cup offered some respite, not to mention glory.

Image: Alex Jennings

Image: Alex Jennings

Blink and you’d have missed the opening goal – 1-0 Manchester and the worst possible start for #TeamWarwick. To our credit, heads did not drop and a decent first half performance would ensue. The referee controversially didn’t play a clear advantage after some excellent tight control from Oluokun that saw him beat his man. But the frustration only continued – a great ball across goal from Dwyer-I

fill was met by Hancock, but cleared off the line by a desperate defender. Two free headers were spurned, both supplied from the left hand side by a consistently productive Rose. With Manchester seemingly average, despite their lead, a long kick from Banks in goal and a deft touch from Hancock led to a chance for Lock, who dragged wide.

Manchester were grateful for the half-time whistle and used the timeout to their advantage in coming out much stronger. Nevertheless, chances continued to fall to red shirts, sometimes fortuitously: a well-timed interception from the referee nearly resulting in an equaliser. A flurry of opportunities came and went, with the ball always curling just past the post.

Then the momentum of the game shifted – when Warwick were called into a goal-line clearance, they weren’t able to find one. The usually reliable Banks missed his punch from a corner and the loose ball was powered home by the tall opposition central midfielder, who impressed all game. The post was rattled as the home side sought a miraculous comeback, but unfortunately the only other goal was a superb free kick to make it 3-0 to Manchester.

This wasn’t a 3-0 game, but in the cup there are no second chances.

No new era in Warwick tennis

In a week that saw Andy Murray cement his position at the summit of the world rankings, it was only fitting to review this Wednesday’s tennis action. Last time we joined the Warwick women’s 1s, their unbeaten record was ended by an impressive Nottingham outfit. Since then, a second defeat to Cambridge has left them third in the league – though with one point separating the top four, the title remains in sight.

A BUCS Trophy fixture, then, offered a welcome relief from the intense heat of the league. A one-off chance to rebuild momentum, Kent 1s posed the ideal remedy to a team that has stuttered in recent weeks but remains capable of beating anyone on their day. Yet their day this was not.

In a new era for British tennis, it was the same old story for the women’s 1s. Kent were decisive in their serve – unburdened by a pressure that infected Warwick’s game. The hosts boiled with frustration, plagued by unforced errors and the inability to shake off recent disappointments. Luckily for them, Coventry are their next opponents.

#ClubSpotlight week 8: Warwick Barbell

This week’s #ClubSpotlight was with one of the newer clubs on campus, but Warwick Barbell are certainly making up for lost time. Go to @BoarSport or ‘The Boar Sport’ to find out more!