Who doesn’t love a good curry from the local takeaway? Everyone, right? However, as we approach the end of Term 1, your student loans (or lack thereof) may not be able to justify your Deliveroo habits. As a result, Heidi Selwood is here once again with a tasty dish that will satisfy your stomach and your bank account.
- 600g beef strips
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp massaman curry paste
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tin lentils
- 2 x 400g tins full-fat coconut milk
- 2 star anises
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 150g unsalted peanuts
- Rice, to serve. Microwavable Uncle Ben’s will do just fine!
1. In a large casserole dish, heat the oil over a medium heat and add onion, garlic and curry paste and gently fry for five minutes.
2. Gently tip in the beef strips, and fry until browned on the outside.
3. Stir in the coconut milk, lentils, cinnamon, sugar, and star anises. Then bring the dish to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes until the beef is tender.
4. Meanwhile, in a small frying pan gently heat the peanuts until browned and toasted. Add 50g of the peanuts to the curry mixture.
5. Once cooked through, serve the curry with fresh rice and sprinkle with the remaining peanuts.