Photo: Warwick Media Library

Warwick to take a zero tolerance approach to sexual violence on campus

Senior management at the University of Warwick are making clear the University’s stance of a zero tolerance approach to sexual harassment and violence on campus.

This comes after pressure from Warwick Students’ Union (SU) to include the topic in the welcome speeches during the move-in weekend.

Academic Registrar, Mike Glover, highlighted in his speech on Sunday that Warwick is a safe campus and community that takes a zero tolerance stance. However, it has then been claimed that he dismissed issues of consent and sexual assault as not really being a “problem at Warwick.”

Vice-Chancellor Stuart Croft did not mention the issue in his own speech.

This comes after the first weekend of clubbing events at the Copper Rooms. At the Saturday night event, Chloe Wynne, the Welfare and Campaigns Officer at Warwick SU, was on the receiving end of harassment and unwanted advances – the day before Mike Glover’s speech.

The sad truth is that 1 in 4 female students are likely to experience some form of harassment or sexual violence during their time at university.

Chloe Wynne, Welfare and Campaigns Officer

On the topic of the speech, Chloe commented: “I’m disappointed that I contacted Mike twice before his speech delivery to ask if he wanted a survivor to read over it for him to ensure the right message was getting across, and I had no response. Then, to sit down and hear such a big mistake was pretty awful.

“It felt damning to listen to, not only as a campaigner who works as a critical friend to the University, but also as a survivor.”

In a status released on Facebook, Chloe also highlighted the rate of sexual violence. She wrote: “The sad truth is that 1 in 4 female students are likely to experience some form of harassment or sexual violence during their time at university.

“Issues regarding consent and sexual assault continue to be a major problem on campuses nationwide, and to pretend otherwise is both irresponsible and insulting to survivors. Furthermore, attempts to sugar-coat this in front of parents shows how far universities still have to go in terms of getting to grips with the issue itself, rather than its cosmetic implications.”

Another thing which we have a zero tolerance policy to is sexual harassment. Indeed, any harassment or bullying of any kind.

Mike Glover, Academic Registrar

In response, the Academic Registrar released a statement through the University’s Press Office. It read: “Whatever was heard or misheard the Academic Registrar assures me that the message he wished to convey is that such forms of behaviour are a problem found throughout UK society and beyond, but that the university takes such matters very seriously and has a zero tolerance policy to sexual violence.

“We would encourage any such matter to be reported to, and investigated by, the police and we would always fully support the police in such investigations.”

In Mike Glover’s address to Freshers today, he reiterated the zero tolerance policy and notably included the topic of consent. He stated: “Another thing which we have a zero tolerance policy to is sexual harassment. Indeed, any harassment or bullying of any kind.

“I think the point about consent is if you are in any doubt about whether someone has consented to a physical act, then you can assume that you do not have that consent and must obtain it first.”