Photo: Bold Content / Flickr. www.BoldContentVideo.com

Women who ask for pay rises receive them less often than men

A new study co-authored by researchers at the University of Warwick has suggested that women ask for pay rises as often as men, but are less likely to actually receive one.

The research, entitled “Do Women Ask?“, found that men are still 25% more likely to get a pay rise, despite women asking at the same rate.

The study was based on data collected in the Australian Workplace Relations Survey, and involved a random sample of 4,600 workers across 800 different businesses.

It is the first research project to explore the argument that women get paid less than men because they aren’t as “pushy”, finding no support for this stereotype.

The paper also explored a further stereotypical claim that women hold back in the workplace for fear of upsetting their boss, finding no statistical support or evidence for this.

Men are still 25% more likely to get a pay rise, despite women asking at the same rate.

Co-author Andrew Oswald, Professor of Economics and Behavioural Science at Warwick, commented: “We didn’t know how the numbers would come out. Having seen these findings, I think we have to accept that there is some element of pure discrimination against women.”

One promising sign to come from the study was that younger women in the Australian workforce were receiving pay rises as often as younger men.

On this note, co-author Dr Amanda Goodall from Cass Business School stated: “This study potentially has an upside. Young women today are negotiating their pay and conditions more successfully than older [women], and perhaps that will continue as they become more senior.”

This study was a collaborative effort between the University of Warwick, Cass Business School, London and the University of Wisconsin, USA. You can download the paper here.

We at WASS find this innovative piece of research encouraging as the severity and effects of the gender pay gap is common knowledge.

Warwick Anti-Sexism Society

In response to the study, Warwick Anti-Sexism Society (WASS) commented: “We at WASS find this innovative piece of research encouraging as the severity and effects of the gender pay gap is common knowledge.

“While governments and companies have been taking steps to reduce it, it is heartening to know that both men and women are making requests and that the gender gap is reducing across generations.”

They added: “This research also reveals evidence of a degree of discrimination, which we hope will eventually be eradicated, not only in Australia but also across the world.”