Photo: Liam Jackson

UPDATED: Fire engines on campus for suspected leak

Several fire engines are were on Library Road yesterday after a blocked drain caused fears of a chemical leak in the Chemistry building.

Concern was created by a strong, unpleasant smell in the area, leading to three fire engines being present on campus for fears of a chemical emergency.

After investigation, however, a blocked drain was discovered as the cause. The building closed temporarily yesterday and overnight whilst the drain was cleared.

West Midlands Fire Service were called to the scene, telling the Coventry Telegraph: “A 999 call was initially reported to us as a chemical spillage. We sent three fire engines, they each had five firefighters on them.

“We also had a duty officer attend and a hazardous materials specialist. The incident involved the smell of an unknown substance, everybody was accounted for.”

They finished: “When we left the scene we advised the university to employ a private contractor to make some detailed investigations. We advised the university not to use the room until getting the ‘all clear’ from a specialist contractor.”

A University spokesperson also commented to the paper: “As a precaution, when that smell was detected, the building was evacuated. The fire brigade were called, they came and had a very thorough look round.”

They added: “It is nothing to do with the science conducted in that building.”