Image: Alistair Ross/ Flickr
Image: Alistair Ross/ Flickr

Wayde van Niekerk breaks world record to win 400m gold

South Africa’s Wayde van Niekerk won the men’s 400m gold in one of the stories of the Rio Olympics, breaking Michael Johnson’s 17-year-old world record in the process.

The runner finished in 43.03 seconds, 0.15 seconds quicker than the time Johnson produced in Seville in 1999 – it had rarely been challenged, and was nowhere near being broken until van Niekerk’s phenomenal run in Brazil.

His gold is also South Africa’s first gold medal of the Games.

Grenada’s Kirani James, the London 2012 champion, finished 0.73 behind to take the silver medal, with American LaShawn Merritt in bronze.

There was little hint of what was to come in the qualifying session, with the South African qualifying fifth fastest for the final. After James took an early lead, van Niekerk put in a strong showing, powering round the final bend (in lane eight, no less) to beat his previous personal best by 0.45 seconds and shatter the record time.

Such was van Niekerk’s triumph that, after Usain Bolt won 100m gold half an hour later for the third time, the champion left his own victory celebration to seek out and congratulate his compatriot.

After his win, van Niekerk said: “I have dreamed of this since I was a kid.

“I believed it was possible. I am just glad things went my way. I thank Michael Johnson for setting such a great example for us. I just did my best.”

Silver medallist James added: “I’m happy to be part of a race that made history. We have put this sport on a pedestal.”

In response to his record being broken, Johnson said: “Oh my God! From lane eight, a world record. He took it out so quick. I have never seen anything from 200 to 400 like that.

It was a massacre. He just put those guys away. Van Niekerk is so young, what else can he do? Can he go under 43 seconds? It is something I thought I could do, but never did.

“Usain Bolt will be retiring soon, this could be the next star.”