Usain Bolt completes ‘triple-triple’ with relay gold

Usain Bolt has secured his place as one of the greatest Olympians of all time after completing an historical triple-triple at Rio 2016.

After the Jamaican men’s team claimed victory in the 4x100m relay, Bolt picked up his ninth Olympic gold medal – at Beijing 2008, London 2012 and now Rio 2016, he won a gold in the 100m, 200m and the 4x100m relay. He said that this will be his last gold medal, and with a collection like the one he’s assembled these past three Games, it’s hard to begrudge him finally deciding to hang up his running shoes – and in style.

Theoretically, there were still three teams in it as the baton was passed for the final time. But after Asafa Powell and Yohan Blake made the early running, and then Nickel Ashmeade passed the baton to Bolt, the legend stormed away from the pack, recording a time of 37.27.

It was a surprise silver for Japan, who were just 0.33 seconds behind – they employed a less traditional baton pass method, which made their handovers far slicker than everyone else’s. And then there was drama in third. Initially, it went to the US team, but it swiftly transpired that they had been disqualified for an illegal baton pass between Mike Rodgers and Justin Gatlin. As a result, Canada was bumped up to bronze position.

After the win, on a much-deserved lap of honour, Bolt said: “I am proud of myself and I have to say thanks to the guys. The pressure is real. I look at it as an accomplishment. I live for these moments, it is beautiful and I came through. I’ll go home, stay up late tonight talking and having fun. It is not real. It is a brilliant feeling. I told the guys if it didn’t happen tonight I would beat them up.”

There were other stories from the night – a disappointing and surprising fifth for Britain’s team among them – but it’s hard to deny that it was all about Bolt. Eight years ago, he made a claim to be the greatest with his record-breaking 100m. But now, there can be no doubt that he will forever be up there as an Olympic legend.