Nicola Adams defends Olympic flyweight title

Nicola Adams successfully defended her Olympic flyweight title at the Rio 2016 Games, becoming the first female in history to win back-to-back boxing golds.

After a unanimous decision against France’s Sarah Ourahmoune, Adams became the first Team GB boxer to retain an Olympic title in 92 years.

It took a battle that lasted just eight minutes, before Adams entered the history books once again after her London 2012 triumph.

Adams was clearly the more mobile of the two in the opening exchanges, using her superior length to keep Ourahmoune at bay. All three judges unanimously agreed that Adams won the opening round, and then a left hook followed by one-two combinations secured the second.

Ourahmoune came back fighting – she caught Adams a couple of times on the retreat, and although she slipped to the floor with 30 seconds left, her forward pressure was enough to catch Adams out and unanimously win the third round.

It came down to the fourth, and it was a nervy clash. Both women traded shots, but Adams held off a spirited rally from Ourahmoune, and it would ultimately be enough to seal the gold.

After her win, Adams said: “I don’t cry – I can’t remember the last time I cried – so to shed a tear on that podium showed how much it meant to me.

“I didn’t think I was going to cry when I got up there then it all got a little bit overwhelming.

“I think it was just in the past four years I have had shoulder operations, ankle injuries and become a European, world and Olympic champion in the same year and I guess I was just reflecting on that and I got quite emotional.”

Ourahmoune had already declared that these Games would be her final one prior to the match, but Adams was less certain: “I’m going to take a holiday, come back and then decide what’s next.”